Whatbird Community

2 Birds on a high branch

(NYC, April 7, 2022)

Up high in a tree.  At first there was one bird which seemed to be the size of a Robin.  The second, larger one, landed on a nearby branch.  It was more active than the smaller one.

While the smaller one has the markings of a Song Sparrow, it seemed to be the size of a Robin.  I think the larger one is a Robin.

(The original photos were almost totally backlit.)

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzJMr3

27 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

Sorry, off topic, but is there a trick to zooming Flickr photos? Sometimes I can zoom in and other times I can't.

This is an album, you have to go to the individual photo to zoom in. 

Just now, Kevin said:

This is an album, you have to go to the individual photo to zoom in. 

So in this case, click the photo once, then it will take you to a new page with just that photo, then click it again. 

• Like 1

Agreed with Northern Cardinal (adding on that it's a female) and Song Sparrow.

For the Cardinal, on the first pic, the colours look fine for a female - brown body with reddish wings. The second picture shows off its chunky orange/red beak nicely too. Other than that, all the proportions like body shape/size, wing length, and tail length look fine for Northern Cardinal.

For the Song Sparrow, it has the expected rufous streaking on the breast with a dark spot in the middle, and it also has the same coloured striping on its face. Again, proportions look good for Song Sparrow, particularly the beak shape/size, and the long tail.

Hope that helps! :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NorthernKeys said:

For the Cardinal, on the first pic, the colours look fine for a female - brown body with reddish wings. The second picture shows off its chunky orange/red beak nicely too. Other than that, all the proportions like body shape/size, wing length, and tail length look fine for Northern Cardinal.

For the Song Sparrow, it has the expected rufous streaking on the breast with a dark spot in the middle, and it also has the same coloured striping on its face. Again, proportions look good for Song Sparrow, particularly the beak shape/size, and the long tail.

Hope that helps! ?

Thanks.

The beak makes sense for a Cardinal, but I'd think I would have seen even a bit of its Crest.

Can a  Song Sparrow be as large as a Robin or pigeon?  Other than that, I would also say a Song Sparrow. 

5 minutes ago, KJS-LES said:

Thanks.

The beak makes sense for a Cardinal, but I'd think I would have seen even a bit of its Crest.

Can a  Song Sparrow be as large as a Robin or pigeon?  Other than that, I would also say a Song Sparrow. 

Cardinals don't always show their crest - they can keep it completely down and have a smooth looking head if they're particularly relaxed. They normally show their crest when they're worked up about something.

Song Sparrows are not as large as a Robin or a pigeon, but they are fairly chunky compared to many other sparrows. Depending on what angle you're seeing them from though, they can look deceptively large.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernKeys said:

Cardinals don't always show their crest - they can keep it completely down and have a smooth looking head if they're particularly relaxed. They normally show their crest when they're worked up about something.

Song Sparrows are not as large as a Robin or a pigeon, but they are fairly chunky compared to many other sparrows. Depending on what angle you're seeing them from though, they can look deceptively large.

OK.  I've never seen a Cardinal, male or female, with its crest flattened. 

My view was pretty much straight up, cam vertical.  ?

8 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Sorry, off topic, but is there a trick to zooming Flickr photos? Sometimes I can zoom in and other times I can't.

Clicking on the image will usually enlarge a photo on Flickr, sometimes getting bigger if you click the image a second or third time. Alternatively, clicking the double arrows to the top right of the photo(see red circle below) will also enlarge the photo, sometimes enlarging it more than clicking on the image does.

1896499170_ScreenShot2022-04-08at5_43_22AM.thumb.png.db63ea95355bea7930f459b4e590b7c9.png

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 1