Whatbird Community

NW Arkansas 4/9/2022

Want to check some ID's from today.
Had a single shovelor and some blue-winged teal... Some people in a canoe scared them eventually... I wish I could get the town to rope off part of the lake at least during migration...
Looking at pictures later, this one duck looked a little off to be teal... gives me a wigeon feel...

image.png.0695aeb9bf6e5656ea7c7b2176c6e2c7.png

Is this normal for a vulture? When I saw this sitting in a tree, it looked odd. Then through the binoculars, the colors reminded me of the colors on a harris's hawk. When I got closer I could see a little vulture to it but, I really don't remember seeing one look this color. I don't know if it was just the lighting... was mid-day so it wasn't low sun, the kind that would normally skew colors. The head looked funny too... Looking at pictures, this still looks very weird to me.
image.thumb.png.0f6ab99bf90c995948647bdbb20dc21f.png

Then here's a RTHA that I just thought had an interesting pattern on the back...

image.png.4207277ea181d2e6207efb728bc72358.png

Then the sparrows.....
Lincoln's?  in the field that's what I thought... then, I wasn't sure. Didn't see the color I wanted to... 
image.png.051a509cc1264eb66ce7ff022ad18010.png

The next sparrows are not in any order... There were at least two birds here that may have both been chipping sparrows. It SEEMED like one had a longer tail than the other... which one, I don't know. I thought I saw a reddish/brown line instead of black in the pics on one(eyeline) and there's a definite spot on the breast on one but, I've seen spots on the breasts of other sparrows where, at least sometimes, it was just the feathers being misplaced or something, I believe. I want to make it a tree sparrow but I just don't think the bill is quite right... In the field I felt I saw colors that COULD work for a tree sparrow but, the shape of the bill seemed wrong.
was hard to get a good look... would have been nice if they would have hopped closer and just sat still to pose. HA... one was flycatching at one point... 

image.png.b4f69674f679b02b77d05467967e5443.png

image.png.dd1ab223ffaae55f4984f319be95ee54.png

image.png.0fa21a4ba88d05dd934191238a0945da.png

image.png.453addb5d18a517a5e2791d2ef61aa78.png

image.thumb.png.fc85abebead4b95ac37ef967b46a3da9.png

image.png.94dca445a236b93c58a59e065ed05e8c.png

Kind of an  odd looking eyeline... I don't know which ones are which, meaning I couldn't say 3 pics are of one bird and the rest of the other... but I don't know there's two different birds in these pics.

1. Female American Wigeon. Note wing and head pattern. 
2. Normal Turkey Vulture

3. RTHA. Maybe leucistic or just a lighting effect. 
4. All sparrows are Swamp Sparrows. Note the rufous areas, and the lack of streaking on breast.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, IKLland said:

1. Female American Wigeon. Note wing and head pattern. 
2. Normal Turkey Vulture

3. RTHA. Maybe leucistic or just a lighting effect. 
4. All sparrows are Swamp Sparrows. Note the rufous areas, and the lack of streaking on breast.

This. 

That red-tailed just looked the way it does in the pic. I watched it circle and got a picture just because of that pattern on it.

For the sparrows... there's a LITTLE streaking on the sides of the breast, which is why I was probably trying to make it a lincoln's in the field. But even there, the more I looked at it, swamp was the best I could guess at the time.
The other two... The eyeline was looking wrong for either chipping or american tree...  but I wouldn't have considered swamp. I'm not used to seeing them with such bold caps here... they REALLY stood out. And then, I wasn't used to seeing them out in the open behaving the way there were. Around the edges of a creek, flycatching, poking along the gravel bar of the creek... with me standing there.
They're usually more their duller winter colors and usually deep in the brush hiding. Just didn't have swamp sparrow on my mind at all.