Whatbird Community

Any way this is a Bahamian Mockingbird and not a Northern Mockingbird?

Just now, PaulK said:

I bought a car last year and am still getting almost nothing but car ads, but we're currently working on a house and this has already started taking over.

My parents got a new mattress, and for thee months every add was for a mattress.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 8:11 AM, Kevin said:

Y'all remember when those over sized ball bearings, that they called fidget spinners came out? I didn't get one, instead my dad got me some new lawnmower blades and new ball bearings to put on our mower. 

That at least cured you of ever trying to play the 'I'm bored' card ?  This modern generation can't even come up with something as good as a Kentucky-do-nothing.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to technology but I think I must be signed into my wife's Gmail account on my phone or something - I can always tell what she's been shopping for when the banner adds change on my phone. Unfortunately sometimes it's women's clothing sites - and not necessarily the items she was looking for ?

8 hours ago, SirVive said:

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to technology but I think I must be signed into my wife's Gmail account on my phone or something - I can always tell what she's been shopping for when the banner adds change on my phone. Unfortunately sometimes it's women's clothing sites - and not necessarily the items she was looking for ?

My husband watches stuff on Amazon a lot. Since our accounts are joined, sometimes I look up the weirdest stuff I can think of, just so he'll get weird ads. ?

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, meghann said:

My husband watches stuff on Amazon a lot. Since our accounts are joined, sometimes I look up the weirdest stuff I can think of, just so he'll get weird ads. ?

I used to know what I was getting for Christmas when my Amazon ads started getting specific. But they seem to have messed up their algorithms somehow and the instagram ads are all bizarre things like a $2 teaspoon with $120 shipping or a set of 252 (that standard quantity of 21 dozen) plastic drinking goblets.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, meghann said:

Who has @Charlie Spencer's address? Just kidding but this just gave me the urge to randomly have a box of some crazy white elephant type gifts show up on his doorstep. Maybe it'll wait till next April fool's day ?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Kerri said:

I've ordered a live box of honey bees online.  I had to pick up at our local USPS store. I got a message something like....please come and pick up your package NOW. ? 

We went and got a wild hive out of a barrel, a few weeks ago, got them put in the brood box, gave them some of their comb, that had both honey and some brood in it. A couple days later took off the queen excluder, 10 days later they all left. As a result, we still don't have bees. 

• Sad 2

You'd be surprised how many live things you can have sent through the mail. There was a hilarious twitter thread about a guy that ordered crickets, and didn't realize they weren't contained in an inner container when he opened the box.

You also used to be able to send children through the mail. Man, sometimes that has been tempting. . . . ?

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

We went and got a wild hive out of a barrel, a few weeks ago, got them put in the brood box, gave them some of their comb, that had both honey and some brood in it. A couple days later took off the queen excluder, 10 days later they all left. As a result, we still don't have bees. 

Did you buy your queen clipped? You can buy them so their wings are clipped and they can not fly away. Similar to a birds flight feathers being clipped. 

Just now, Kerri said:

Did you buy your queen clipped? You can buy them so their wings are clipped and they can not fly away. Similar to a birds flight feathers being clipped. 

Didn't buy a queen, we got these out of an old barrel in a field, it was very educational, even though they did not stay around.

We would like to get wild bees, that are local. If they are already surviving in the wild, with no help, and used to the climate and such, they most likely are not going to need antibiotics, and a lot of help to make it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Didn't buy a queen, we got these out of an old barrel in a field, it was very educational, even though they did not stay around.

We would like to get wild bees, that are local. If they are already surviving in the wild, with no help, and used to the climate and such, they most likely are not going to need antibiotics, and a lot of help to make it.

There are several bee breeders here in Texas. B Weaver and R Weaver are 2 up in Navasota. They have bred their bees over several generations to thrive here in Texas. If you are capturing a whole wild hive and have made sure the queen is in the capture the only way to ensure she doesn't choose to fly away with her entire harem is to clip her wings. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kerri said:

I've ordered a live box of honey bees online.  I had to pick up at our local USPS store. I got a message something like....please come and pick up your package NOW. ? 

We've gotten that call early in the morning for a big box of chicks more than once ?  They do make plenty of noise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kevin said:

I once learned not to believe everything your mom tell you  ( let alone read on the Internet) the hard way. My dad had kept bees when I was little and we still had all the stuff and would catch a swarm once in a while when the wild hive that lived in the wall of one of the old out buildings would out grow it's space. Well ... one day when I was probably in my early teens I spotted a good size swarm up in a tree. Dad was gone to work but we dug out a hive body and set to work. 'They don't sting when they're swarming' says mom - so I don't bother to put on the suit and helmet. Mind you this swarm was dangling on the end of a limb a good 15' up in a tree. So I get the box set up on the top of a ladder under it. Next to get one of those fiberglass extending pruners with the rope - of course at full length I could barely reach so I am standing almost directly under it  ... and it wiggles ?  Yes, I managed to knock nearly half of that swarm in a big clump right onto my noggin ?  I ran and plunged the entire upper half of my body into the cow tank and drowned the little beggers but not before a good half hundred had done their mischief. Needless to say I lay around on the couch for the rest of the day ? and somehow avoided a serious reaction.

• Like 2