Whatbird Community

Dinner Time

kevarc

10 hours ago, floraphile said:

Does this happen frequently?

This is the only time I have seen this. The photo was taken in 2013 in Colorado. I have been birding for 14 years or so mostly in Colorado and now Florida. So I would say no. I have encountered many more problems with fishing line and birds than accidental but natural deaths like this one. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Mississippi Kite   03 July 2021 Baldwin co. AL

I hate this is so underexposed.  I love to get pics of kites dining on the wing.  I think it's a cicada, but can't tell for sure.

DSC05190 - Copy2.jpg

Edited by floraphile
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Another bad picture, but, I continue to be impressed with these birds.  

Mississippi Kite with Barn Swallow.  I can't even catch them [Barn Swallows] in flight with my camera.  

107929503_DSC05299-Copy1.thumb.jpg.d352a0be2546b72e525aeca6093144fa.jpg

Edited by floraphile
clarification
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, floraphile said:

Another bad picture, 

Mississippi Kite with Barn Swallow.  I can't even catch them [Barn Swallows] in flight with my camera.  

So if Kites are faster than swallows, that means that your swallow photos should be better than your kite photos. Right?😛

• Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched this Laughing Gull for a few minutes seemingly playing with it's food. It would swallow it's fish part way and slide it back out. Dip it in the water swallow it part again and slide it back out. By the 6th photo I shared it finally swallowed it for good. I included the last photo to show the barbs inside the mouths of Laughing Gulls because I wonder how it was able to partially swallow the fish and then get it to slide back out. I would thing it would get hung up on the barbs. Nature full of mysteries.

079.JPG

082.JPG

084.JPG

085.JPG

086.JPG

088.JPG

313.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...