Whatbird Community

Glaucous-winged Gulls

Howdy folks! I would just like to confirm Glaucous-winged Gulls. Taken 4/24/22 at the North Head Lighthouse on Cape Disappointment SW Washington, cliffs along the Pacific coast, just to the north of the lighthouse along the cliffs. Only one gull was really along the lines of adult plumage, but most of the sub-adults seem to have similar coloring, low contrast coloring, white or light gray wingtips, black bills. Pictures aren't great, I'm sorry, it's a reach for the P900. I've seen GWGU before, but my friend with me this would be a life bird, so I'd like to be 100% sure. Thanks so much!

142-L.jpg

132-L.jpg

131-L.jpg

Or should I, as my friend said to me in WY before I moved to the Pac NW, "just give up, they are all hybrid Olympic Gulls?!"

:classic_laugh:

Thanks anyone and all!

Posted (edited)

Thanks much! I will let her know.

I live here surrounded by gulls, but aside from Heerman's and Short-billed and Ring-billed am constantly trying to puzzle out the rest. As a matter of fact, here is an actual photo of me below trying to ID gulls Saturday at Tokeland Marina, WA.

I GIVE UP!

2022%2004%2030%20Ring%20Billed%20Gull%20

(Ring-billed Gull)

Kidding aside...thanks again! Appreciate the bump and responses, and IKLland, I just got my newest life bird too, #530 on Sunday, also a Hermit Warbler! Cheers!

Edited by okaugust
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, okaugust said:

As a matter of fact, here is an actual photo of me below trying to ID gulls Saturday at Tokeland Marina, WA.

I GIVE UP!

2022%2004%2030%20Ring%20Billed%20Gull%20

(Ring-billed Gull)

I throw my hands up in the air when it comes to Gulls, too. I don't think I have ever opened a field guide to the Gull section. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2