Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Seeking the Kite variety


Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, Jim Morris said:

Thanks---- I thought so as well.  Another person suggested Black-shouldered, which I didn't think was found in California.

 

Black-shouldered Kite  is the old name for White-tailed Kite. It was changed some years back, I don't know just when. This is the only Kite expected in N Calif.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Bird Brain said:

Black-shouldered Kite  is the old name for White-tailed Kite. It was changed some years back, I don't know just when. This is the only Kite expected in N Calif.

I tried to edit this above but it wouldn't let me!! Why does it refuse to let you edit a post so darn quick??!!?? :classic_blink: 

Anyhow, I found that there is a Black-shouldered Kite found in Australia. When I first moved to Calif. in 2003 I had an old Reader's Digest bird book that listed this Kite as a Black-shouldered. I posted a photo of one on here and labeled it a Black-shouldered, and was corrected in that it was now called a White-tailed Kite. Anyhow, your bird is indeed a White-tailed Kite. :classic_smile:

Edited by Bird Brain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Bird Brain said:

I tried to edit this above but it wouldn't let me!! Why does it refuse to let you edit a post so darn quick??!!?? :classic_blink: 

Anyhow, I found that there is a Black-shouldered Kite found in Australia. When I first moved to Calif. in 2003 I had an old Reader's Digest bird book that listed this Kite as a Black-shouldered. I posted a photo of one on here and labeled it a Black-shouldered, and was corrected in that it was now called a White-tailed Kite. Anyhow, your bird is indeed a White-tailed Kite. :classic_smile:

This is one of those name reversals that come from a lump and a split.  This species used to be called the White-tailed Kite.  In 1983 the AOU lumped it with the Australian species and what is now called the Black-winged Kite in Eurasia and Africa; the name was "Black-shouldered Kite".  In 1993 it went back to splitting the New World species as "White-tailed Kite".  BNA on line says the taxonomy of these species is still in flux.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jerry Friedman said:

This is one of those name reversals that come from a lump and a split.  This species used to be called the White-tailed Kite.  In 1983 the AOU lumped it with the Australian species and what is now called the Black-winged Kite in Eurasia and Africa; the name was "Black-shouldered Kite".  In 1993 it went back to splitting the New World species as "White-tailed Kite".  BNA on line says the taxonomy of these species is still in flux.

Thanks for clearing this up, Jerry. It can get confusing at times, especially when they change a name and then later change it back to the original. I have a hard enough time keeping up with them without the changes!!:classic_smile:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...