Whatbird Community

I'll give it a try. My guess is a Willow Flycatcher. Based on slender body,orange lower mandible, indistinct eye-ring, medium bill, dull wing bars and I think I can see medium primary extention. Without hearing its 'fitz-bew' call, it looks very similar to an Alder Flycatcher. I'm definitely not an expert and may be way off base, so wait for an expert.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IKLland said:

Definitely a flycatcher. @DLecy@Avery @Birding Boy

Honored to have been pinged amongst the elite few to attempt this id, but I'm also a bit more, uh, frightened 😂 I'm really rusty with empidonax id, and quite frankly I'm not sure what to make of this one. @gpoole has a good analysis, but I really can't tell much of anything from the pics. @The Bird Nutswould probably be a better birder to ping, she's great with their identification and has more experience with these guys I think.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Birding Boy said:

Honored to have been pinged amongst the elite few to attempt this id, but I'm also a bit more, uh, frightened 😂 I'm really rusty with empidonax id, and quite frankly I'm not sure what to make of this one. @gpoole has a good analysis, but I really can't tell much of anything from the pics. @The Bird Nutswould probably be a better birder to ping, she's great with their identification and has more experience with these guys I think.

Oh, I just tagged you because I knew you had a decent amount of experience with eastern empids. 

Edited by IKLland

I wouldn't call it from these photos, but my impression is Least - the bill looks quite small to me and the primaries appear short.  The face is washed out and at a tough angle, so it's hard too see how much of an eyering it has.

• Like 3

Like @Birding Boy I am having feelings if imposter syndrome being tagged here 😂, but I share @The Bird Nuts thoughts. First gut impression was Least, and the bill is quite small, and though it’s a rough angle I can’t even tell where the primaries project, which likely means it’s quite short. 

• Like 2