Whatbird Community

Northern or Loggerhead ?

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Blast, the mask is so narrow and doesn't bridge the nose.  The breast is so very, very brown.  I desperately want to call this Northern.  Someone show me the error of my way, please!

Couldn’t it be a juvi Loggerhead? Sibley’s shows they can have a narrower mask than adult birds. Date and location would support Loggerhead as well but I have close to no experience with these. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Couldn’t it be a juvi Loggerhead? Sibley’s shows they can have a narrower mask than adult birds. Date and location would support Loggerhead as well but I have close to no experience with these. 

I regularly see LOSH and their offspring here in season. I'll sleep better if it's a LOSH but I've never seen one looking like this, esp. this brown.  I'm not sure if it's too early for fledglings.

I can't find a LOSH in Macauley even close to this brown.  Did I mention I don't like this bird? 

Edited by Charlie Spencer

WOW !

A lot of good observations and comments.

I'm of a mind that it's probably a juvi Loggerhead, now that I've settled down a bit.

The yellow beak gape, the overall size impression of a couple of other photos, the summer range of both and the fact that my friend must have been close to get these images (good nature photographer who shoots from his golf cart blind - as he likes to say)  The adult loggerheads in this county are extremely skittish and I have never seen one at this location.    I will not hear from him until morning - early to bed.  More later.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Hasan said:

Sorry, there is no chance that a Northern Shrike would be breeding in a state with zero ebirds records of the species.

I'd agree but does that look like a Loggerhead?  There are no records for any bird until it's sighted for the first time.

@Peter, whatever the heck it is, that's a terrific photo!!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

Exchanged comments with my bird photo buddy this morning.  He said that the bird flew up close to him as he sat in his "golf cart blind" and didn't appear skittish.  It was in the area of a small pond that is located in a pollinator garden and field.  He also thinks that it was a juvi.  Let's call it a Loggerhead.

What 'cha say ? Thanks and good birding !

• Like 2