Whatbird Community

A couple flycatchers from today…

my guess  #1 Agree with Western Wood-Pewee

#2 Agree with Pacific-slope

#3 Western Wood-Pewee (only because it's posture doesn't seem                          as upright as an Olive-sided) Wait for the experts.

• Thanks 1

Also on team olive-sided. For the first bird, this is probably just my inexperience but I'm having trouble making it into a wood-pewee. Maybe it's just the posture that makes it look weird but that's not much of a vest and those are very bright wingbars. I'd be really confused by that bird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

That’s what I thought. Lifer on the line, so any other opinions are strongly appreciated.

Did you hear it call? OSFL call/sing very frequently this time of year. Their calls and song are diagnostic. Separating flycatchers, especially Empidonax and Contopus, is often the easiest and most reliably done by voice. I can imagine all three of these species were calling, but you don't mention anything about voice in your post.

Experienced birders often identify birds by sounds more than by sight, especially this time of year. I think it's about time you hopped aboard the audio train, it will change your birding. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Agree with Wood-Pewee.

2. No experience with western flycatchers.

3. Agree Pewee or Olive-sided (although flank markings not that evident). It's right at the end of the branch - was it at the highest available location in the area?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DLecy said:

Did you hear it call? OSFL call/sing very frequently this time of year. Their calls and song are diagnostic. Separating flycatchers, especially Empidonax and Contopus, is often the easiest and most reliably done by voice. I can imagine all three of these species were calling, but you don't mention anything about voice in your post.

Experienced birders often identify birds by sounds more than by sight, especially this time of year. I think it's about time you hopped aboard the audio train, it will change your birding. ?

Yeah, your right. I really will start to take in calls and songs more. Unfortunately, this bird was silent. I only saw it for three seconds before it flew away.