Whatbird Community

Unconfirmed reports and ebirder status

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Forget being "hooked" on him, I've never even heard of the guy. Of course the "newest" good looking celebrity I know of is Clint Walker. (shrugs) 

I was referencing Davis's song "Baby, Don't Get Hooked On Me". I don't know Clint Walker, I looked him up.

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

When you're as attractive as I am, it's hard to tear yourself away.  I wish the ladies could manage to stop staring; their sighs can be annoying sometimes.

Any Mac Davis fans out there?  :classic_wink:

In a roundabout way, I was referring to Mac's satirical "It's Hard to Humble (When You're Perfect in Every Way)".

Mac was a singer-songwriter in the 60s and 70s.  Besides his own recordings, he's probably best known for Elvis' "In The Ghetto".  Please don't tell me I need to explain who Elvis was.

• Like 1

Will throw this out here.  Anyone reported a pic on a checklist for a bird not on said checklist?  This pic looks like upper right bird is maybe a White-rumped Sandpiper.  https://ebird.org/checklist/S89185344?_gl=1*lj90m5*_ga*NTk4Nzc1NDA1LjE2NTE5NTYzMzM.*_ga_QR4NVXZ8BM*MTY1MjU2NDk1NC4xNC4xLjE2NTI1NzIzOTUuNTQ.#_ga=2.152945529.1724742866.1651956333-598775405.1651956333

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

Will throw this out here.  Anyone reported a pic on a checklist for a bird not on said checklist?  This pic looks like upper right bird is maybe a White-rumped Sandpiper.  https://ebird.org/checklist/S89185344?_gl=1*lj90m5*_ga*NTk4Nzc1NDA1LjE2NTE5NTYzMzM.*_ga_QR4NVXZ8BM*MTY1MjU2NDk1NC4xNC4xLjE2NTI1NzIzOTUuNTQ.#_ga=2.152945529.1724742866.1651956333-598775405.1651956333

They probably didn’t know it’s one…

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, chipperatl said:

This would not be reportable. When flagging a photo the options are 1) Wrong species, or 2) Offensive or inappropriate content. This doesn’t fit either, and the majority of birds are correctly identified. The observer simply missed a bird in their photos.

Edited by DLecy
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, chipperatl said:

Anyone reported a pic on a checklist for a bird not on said checklist?

I've seen folks leave background species off a media item all the time, but I've never reported them for the reasons @DLecy mentioned.

However, it actually can cause problems when doing the photo quiz if the background species happens to be one of the choices, and you aren't sure which bird it was filed under. (I believe eBird specifically removes background species from the choices if you've filled them in.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zoroark said:

I've seen folks leave background species off a media item all the time, but I've never reported them for the reasons @DLecy mentioned.

However, it actually can cause problems when doing the photo quiz if the background species happens to be one of the choices, and you aren't sure which bird it was filed under. (I believe eBird specifically removes background species from the choices if you've filled them in.)

Yep. When managing media in eBird, there is an option to tag additional species pictured in the photo. This is the most appropriate way to report additional birds which are not the primary bird in a photo. In this case, the observer simply missed the bird, which happens from time to time.

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 11.13.59 AM.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Yep. When managing media in eBird, there is an option to tag additional species pictured in the photo. This is the most appropriate way to report additional birds which are not the primary bird in a photo. In this case, the observer simply missed the bird, which happens from time to time.

I usually try to fill in the background species when there's something else visible. It gets very tricky with audio recordings, though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I recall a debate over whether one should report a species missed in the field and only detected later in photos.  

I recall that this debate was very spicy 🌶️. My personal feelings haven't necessarily changed on this, but it is commonplace on this forum to count birds ID'ed by others (or yourself) after the fact in photos.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I recall a debate over whether one should report a species missed in the field and only detected later in photos.  

1 hour ago, DLecy said:

I recall that this debate was very spicy 🌶️. My personal feelings haven't necessarily changed on this, but it is commonplace on this forum to count birds ID'ed by others (or yourself) after the fact in photos.

I absolutely do add birds to my list if I identify them later. After all, the point of the list (both for scientific purposes and to aid other birders) is to show the birds that exist at that location on that time and date. If you later discover that you documented a species at a location that you did not notice before, it definitely should be recorded.

That's why I tend to go through all my photos after I get back from an outing, so I can identify anything I wasn't sure about (e.g. too bright to see the camera screen clearly), especially mixed flocks like waterfowl. If I took a ton of pictures with hard-to-identify species, I may do a quick look through and upload a provisional list with only the certainties as "incomplete," then come back later to correct it after I thoroughly go through the photos.

Edit: Also, I still have a long way to go in identifying a lot of species by sound. I can review my audio spectrograms much easier when I'm at a computer with a pair of headphones.

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Zoroark said:

I absolutely do add birds to my list if I identify them later. After all, the point of the list (both for scientific purposes and to aid other birders) is to show the birds that exist at that location on that time and date. If you later discover that you documented a species at a location that you did not notice before, it definitely should be recorded.

That's why I tend to go through all my photos after I get back from an outing, so I can identify anything I wasn't sure about (e.g. too bright to see the camera screen clearly), especially mixed flocks like waterfowl. If I took a ton of pictures with hard-to-identify species, I may do a quick look through and upload a provisional list with only the certainties as "incomplete," then come back later to correct it after I thoroughly go through the photos.

Edit: Also, I still have a long way to go in identifying a lot of species by sound. I can review my audio spectrograms much easier when I'm at a computer with a pair of headphones.

If I remember correctly, the crux of this original thread was regarding whether or not to count a lifer from a photo later on, and perhaps even identified by other people. To many, this is fundamentally different than looking back on some pictures of common birds and adding one that you missed initially in the field. To other people, there is no real difference.

I think there were some other arguments being made in that thread as well, but I can't remember them right now.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2022 at 6:04 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

I confess to not knowing or much caring about my reputation with other birders.

I do care strongly about my reputation with that guy on the other side of the bathroom mirror.  I find that staying straight with him usually keeps me covered as far as everyone else is concerned.

Well said.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 1:27 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

When you're as attractive as I am, it's hard to tear yourself away.  I wish the ladies could manage to stop staring; their sighs can be annoying sometimes.

Any Mac Davis fans out there?  :classic_wink:

Matter of fact, I am a Mac Davis fan. Macs' first wife was Fran Cook, who is my 1st cousin once removed (daughter of my 1st cousin). They had a son, Scotty, and Mac wrote the song "Watching Scotty Grow" about his son. The song was recorded by Bobby Goldsboro in 1970 and was a hit for him. Later Mac had his own hit song, "It's Hard to Be Humble", which you're referring to here. So Mac was my ex-cousin-in-law.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2022 at 5:10 AM, floraphile said:

Well said.

FWIW - I mean, I get that some people don't care what other birders think of them (individualism the the stereotypical American ideal, right?), but when we are talking about your "birding reputation" I hardly think it's a bad thing to strive for a reputation as honorable, fair, thorough, and careful with regards to observing birds and reporting your observations. I find that there is often too much hubris, pride, and competition involved in birding, which begets bad behavior, which in turn harms one's reputation...although I realize this paradigm is hardly contained to birding only.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, DLecy said:

FWIW - I mean, I get that some people don't care what other birders think of them (individualism the the stereotypical American ideal, right?), but when we are talking about your "birding reputation" I hardly think it's a bad thing to strive for a reputation as honorable, fair, thorough, and careful with regards to observing birds and reporting your observations. I find that there is often too much hubris, pride, and competition involved in birding, which begets bad behavior, which in turn harms one's reputation...although I realize this paradigm is hardly contained to birding only.

Definitely.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DLecy said:

Let me be more specific.  I use eBird as best fits the way I bird, within the parameters Cornell specifies as I understand them.  If I'm using it wrong, I certainly want to know and will change.

I completely agree there's value in developing a good reputation.  I'm not concerned with the opinions of people who are acquainted with me only from my checklists.  I'm not going to alter the way I use eBird to improve my standing in their eyes.  I'm much more concerned with the opinions of people who've been in the field with me, or even of those who interact with me here.  (Hopefully it's that I'm a guy with some decent field skills who can find the occasional new good location, but am nearly useless at birding by ear and ID'ing warblers or shorbs.)

Gods know I'm one of the least competitive birders here (check the signature :classic_wink:).  I'm absotively, posilutely not going to enter false data, especially not with the goal of impressing people with checklists.  That's precisely what I was referring to when I mentioned having to live with myself.  I couldn't tell you where I stand in county or state ratings, and I'm not birding with the goal of improving my ranking.  I rarely react to rarity alerts or county needs lists; my life list grows mostly as new birds find me.  As I've posted several times, I'm in this for relaxation; building reputation, rankings, and lists is too much like work.

Hopefully that clarifies my earlier post.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

FWIW, I didn't think it needed clarifying. If the guy on the other side of the mirror is being straight with you, he'll tell you if you need to worry about your reputation in the eyes of other birders, or in any other aspect of life.

I thought I should put it in context of the original eBird topic.  I interact with other birders only occasionally.  Every few months I'll go on a scheduled walk that includes a core of four or five regular participants.  My schedule doesn't allow me to get out with others more often; hopefully that will change when I retire.  So those are the only live people whose opinions of me as a birder matter to me.

My understanding from posts here is birders in some counties and states are more competitive than here in Lexington and Richland SC.  I also get the impression social media plays a large role in that competitiveness.  I'm glad I don't bird in those areas, and probably would avoid birders whose approach to birding emphasizes those aspects.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

One of the people reported a rare bird (unconfirmed) the other day, and yup it added it to the county listing as the ‘newest’ bird they had seen. 
Amazingly they’re not even first 😂. Though, I honestly don’t think it’s done maliciously.

I’ve had a few people ‘talk’ to me through their checklists/species comments or ask me (through email/Instagram) where the best place to find X species is at a certain location. The other day someone thanked me in their comments as they found a bird they hadn’t seen that they were able to find as I mentioned where I birded and where I saw that species in my checklist.  So I think it’s good to have some sort of awareness of how your lists/birding ability is being perceived by other people, as any list you upload is visible by anyone, and they might base their actions or expectations on what you have reported. Then a good reputation can help from relationships with the birders around you, and then maybe you get to join the secret birding group chat where rare/notable birds get reported as soon as they’re found or something 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

This is the last place I expected to find conspiracy theories!  :classic_ninja:

I swear they exist. No way one person reports a bird and within the same hour 5 other people have reported it without some tomfoolery afoot

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Aaron said:

I swear they exist. No way one person reports a bird and within the same hour 5 other people have reported it without some tomfoolery afoot

Yup. I’ve been on my county’s RBA What’s App group for about half a year but wouldn’t say it’s that secret. Definitely an upgrade over the daily eBird email alerts (that always seem to lag and aren’t really daily anymore).

• Like 4

Another way to tell if a person is trustworthy or not is if you see they report a rare bird without photos or audio. If the report still gets confirmed, you know the reviewers can trust that person, and therefore you can know they are trustworthy. 

Never mind, there’s a twist. My reviwers are not like this, but some county’s reviewers I see confirm every single report unless it has a photo that was incorrectly identified. Even if it’s a probable fake report, they confirm it. I guess them it’s up to you do know if that’s how your reviewers are. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3