Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Unconfirmed reports and ebirder status


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, neilpa said:

Yup. I’ve been on my county’s RBA What’s App group for about half a year but wouldn’t say it’s that secret. Definitely an upgrade over the daily eBird email alerts (that always seem to lag and aren’t really daily anymore).

Someone should compile a list of count/area bird lists. I have like three different apps for different areas for bird alerts. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Avery said:

Someone should compile a list of count/area bird lists. I have like three different apps for different areas for bird alerts. 

Michigan has created a Discord for the entire state with channels for various counties and/or regions with their own RBA and Chat channel.  They also have statewide RBA, photos, chat, general, etc.  It is awesome so far.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

I'd assume you don't know about the California Birding List Digest then? Rare bird alerts get sent out much faster on here than that do on ebird. I probably check this list around twenty to thirty times a day. 

I get e-mails from the Audubon NVBIRDS listserv. The only issue is most of the people posting to it are from Reno. I feel like that Southern California one would probably have more reasonable day trips. I haven't been to California in over two years, and gas is a bit expensive right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

News article: https://ebird.org/news/important-changes-to-exotic-species-in-ebird

It appears eBird has made some changes to exotic species to change how escapees and other non-naturalized populations are displayed in various parts of eBird as well as how they count towards list totals.

To answer the question from a few months ago, escapees will no longer count towards your life lists soon. (This won't stop people from doing other sleazy things just to appear at the top of the county list, however.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Zoroark said:

News article: https://ebird.org/news/important-changes-to-exotic-species-in-ebird

It appears eBird has made some changes to exotic species to change how escapees and other non-naturalized populations are displayed in various parts of eBird as well as how they count towards list totals.

To answer the question from a few months ago, escapees will no longer count towards your life lists soon. (This won't stop people from doing other sleazy things just to appear at the top of the county list, however.)

Let me know if I’m reading the article wrong, but on the checklist that I submitted a Mandarin Duck, it has the escapee symbol and the article says escapees do not count towards eBird totals. Yet, Mandarin Duck still shows up on my life list on eBird. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IKLland said:

Let me know if I’m reading the article wrong, but on the checklist that I submitted a Mandarin Duck, it has the escapee symbol and the article says escapees do not count towards eBird totals. Yet, Mandarin Duck still shows up on my life list on eBird. 

This recent update doesn’t take escapes of peoples life lists. That will happen later in the year. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...