Whatbird Community

Hi.  I believe this to be a Blackpoll Warbler which would be extremely rare in Hilton Head Island SC.  Found today and from all markings, the only other bird would be immature Bay-breasted Warbler

Tried to provide images from all sides - Thanks so much,

M.A.

BIRDID-1.JPG-3.jpg

BIRDID-1.JPG-4.jpg

BIRDID-1.JPG-5.jpg

BIRDID-1.JPG-1.jpg

BIRDID-1.JPG-2.jpg

Bird Nuts  and Creeker - thanks.  But it would be VERY VERY rare on Hilton Head Island... no possibility of anything else?  I reported to Ebird, but haven't heard anythng from them... I hope it is a Blackpoll - that would be great!  M.A.

• Like 1

An errant migrant no doubt. Google their migration, it's super impressive. We get various errant migrants here in San Diego every winter. The weather's good, so some stay. Some come back year after year. A particular Thick-billed Kingbird is on it's seventh winter here, I believe.

12 hours ago, cruise791@aol.com said:

Thanks, Creeker.  Anything's possible.  It will be interesting to see what Ebird does...

eBird will have no choice with those photos. Fabulous shots of a Blackpoll!!!

• Like 1

Anything is definitely possible.  We have a greater kiskadee that has showed up here in Ontario this fall and is the first record ever for all of Canada!  Nice find and great pictures!

Congrats on the lifer and awesome photos!

I think this fall has been especially good for lingering birds like warblers on the East Coast. I've had a couple of Blackpolls here in Southern Connecticut within the last week or so. Chimney Swifts have also been around in small numbers much later than usual.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:02 AM, cruise791@aol.com said:

Great video - wish I could get a male!!

If you want a breeding plumaged male, upstate SC and especially NC get them regularly in May.