Whatbird Community

silhouette and more

NW Arkansas yesterday

First is actually from Tulsa county somewhere yesterday... I was driving home from my trip there and thought MAYBE kites. Pulled into a random parking lot to look.
So, here's the silhouette with a description as well. When I got looks, it seemed to have the right shape and all... the wings...  part dark, part light like you'd see on a MIKI or a swainson's hawk... but this doesn't look like a buteo to me at all.
image.png.c741b2de9848548b671a7797c5763631.png

I both love and hate having only one species of hummingbird here. Outside of some of them being fairly similar, they also don't sit still often.
The basic idea is if I see one, it's a ruby-throated... But sometimes they look odd to me.
This one had a dark brick like color on the sides... Didn't get good pictures. Why don't they ever turn and pose when you ask them to???

image.png.f1662c005f33dfbf1a9b78ed1f38ce75.png

Oh yeah, they get better...
This one, I'd have to guess was half a mile away or more... or not... long distance though. It was flying way off up above the tree line. At first I was thinking purple martin based on how it LOOKED like it was flying. Then it landed on the tree... and just sat there.
When I looked at the pics I realized, I was definitely off there. Has a good flycatcher/pewee look to it. 
Based on it being perched way up on to top of bare branches it has me thinking about olive-sided flycatchers. But I'm not sure if that can be discerned by this pic and the behavior or not.
image.png.40c99afb26aa807c9d0c1fb57b206e2b.png

and last... a thrush... swainson's are here now. Gray-cheeked are here, to a lesser degree...
I wanted to make it a gray-cheeked because I couldn't see the eye-ring and it was not very brown... but, this was at least 200 feet away so, not sure what kind of details I could pick up with the binocs that way... and the pic obviously didn't.

image.png.55a8f0c11dbb022eba4dc2466f9247b3.png

1.  Looks like a kite profile to me, but I'll pass on ID.

2.  An overly dark photo of buffy sides on a male Ruby-throated I think.

3. I think this is an Indigo Bunting, perhaps in a transitioning plumage (which shows a little buffy brown on the back still, but I think I'm seeing blue in this photo at the head and tail end of the bird?)

4. The spotting seems weird to me and I'm not accustomed to seeing anything like that, but still RTHU I suppose...

• Like 1

Mississippi Kite Maybe? Looks like a kite and I remember in Colorado when I saw one they had a silloette like that. Don't know if we can rule out all other kites though....

Sure we'll go Ruby-throated. Are any other hummers normally seen there? I am not a hummer expert.

I was thinking Indigo Bunting too.

I'll skip the thrush good luck identifying that.

I'd say it looks like normal thing to me.......I really don't know though.

1. Kite 

2. Looks fine for ruby throated

3. Proportions feel wrong for bunting IMO. Looks like a flycatcher, either a pewee or olive sided. Impossible to tell from the photo. 

4. Not identifiable. 
5. Looks like a straightforward ruby throated. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IKLland said:

1. Kite 

2. Looks fine for ruby throated

3. Proportions feel wrong for bunting IMO. Looks like a flycatcher, either a pewee or olive sided. Impossible to tell from the photo. 

4. Not identifiable. 
5. Looks like a straightforward ruby throated. 

That's what I was thinking.
I think what looks like blue is just, it's not a great photo... this is zoomed/cropped way in. As I said, it was a long distance... like 500 to 1000 feet away or more.  The shape and behavior all screamed flycatcher to me. Well, in the pictures. I couldn't even pick that up in my binoculars it was so far. I want to make it an olive-sided... but I wont. ? 
Speaking of... if I add this to my eBird checklist, is there an option that covers olive-sided flycatcher/eastern wood pewee?  I'm bad with families...

image.thumb.png.2fce065ddb6f45b4d0595aa0535a4648.png

15 minutes ago, millipede said:

That's what I was thinking.
I think what looks like blue is just, it's not a great photo... this is zoomed/cropped way in. As I said, it was a long distance... like 500 to 1000 feet away or more.  The shape and behavior all screamed flycatcher to me. Well, in the pictures. I couldn't even pick that up in my binoculars it was so far. I want to make it an olive-sided... but I wont. ? 
Speaking of... if I add this to my eBird checklist, is there an option that covers olive-sided flycatcher/eastern wood pewee?  I'm bad with families...

image.thumb.png.2fce065ddb6f45b4d0595aa0535a4648.png

I don't think there's a / for those two, but you could report it as flycatcher sp.