Whatbird Community

Seen in San Francisco CA in late October in a large park pond with numerous mallards, americans coots, and pied-billed grebes but this appeared to be the only one of this species in the large group. Is this a female or juvenile diving duck of some kind? Perhaps lesser scaup? Thank you in advance! 

IMG_3581.jpg

That's a female Ring-necked Duck.

Edit- female type is a better phrase to use since a young male likely can't be ruled out easily here.

Edited by akiley
  • Like 1

question - could this be a  cinnamon teal - female, juvenile or eclipse.  Beak color and shape seems different then female type Ring-Necked Duck. BUT the heead is more "peaked " than i would expect for a teal. Best i leave this for experts

4 minutes ago, jcarscadden said:

question - could this be a  cinnamon teal - female, juvenile or eclipse.  Beak color and shape seems different then female type Ring-Necked Duck. BUT the heead is more "peaked " than i would expect for a teal. Best i leave this for experts

No, female Cinnamon Teals have mottled plumage and rounder bills and they lack the contrasting light patch near the base of the beak and the peaked head shape, as you noted.

No, female Cinnamon Teals have mottled plumage and rounder bills and they lack the contrasting light patch near the base of the beak and the peaked head shape, as you noted.

thank you .