Whatbird Community

global big day birds

NW Arkansas.  Was a pretty good day. I led a field trip to a local lake and 6 people showed up. That was encouraging. And they all seemed to enjoy it.

I left a couple flycatchers off my lists altogether but hope to add them in... and put shorebird sp for a couple shorebirds I'm uncertain of.

1. This was in the woods by a creek and was silent. I'm thinking my options are eastern-wood pewee or an empid(are pewees empids? They're listed right after the book mentions empidonax)  Did have pewees vocalizing nearby. I'm used to seeing willow and alder in willows that are at least a bit more near the open than this location. That makes me want to lean pewee...
image.png.3e9630c51d9e0efb20f76875bf312f5b.png

another pose(flight) which probably doesn't help any...
image.png.b64f73a11eb9ca31540aae871875e1b0.png

2. This has to be an empid... This thing stayed on some barbed wire at the edge of a field, but near the road. I'm not used to seeing these away from trees. I seemed to have gotten a lot of pictures of this one... I think this one shows a good side view... most other pictures are also from the side but have the head turned different directions.

image.png.33954609ef2dc63ff9a8c65f3bf2aff5.png

3. and 4. I will post more photos later if anyone wants them. I know I have some from closer up but I have some kids pressuring me for family game time. 🙂 
I didn't think either had yellow legs. I will look at the other pictures later but I'm not wondering if the one on the right is just a least. The one on the left??? bairds? It seemed in the field and in some pics that the wing tips extend past the tail while at rest.
Pretty much all the pictures I've looked at, it looks like there's a reddish color on the bill of the larger bird. That bird is very noticeably larger than the smaller one, even in pics when it's behind the smaller one. I'm thinking these are identifiable with these pics alone but just let me know and I'll add others.

image.thumb.png.1e5d32a27273317738537d64ef4083c5.png

1 hour ago, chipperatl said:

White-rumped Sandpiper has that reddish mark on the bill, and it is definitely longer wings than tail.  Nice bird!!

I will try to make a mental note of that.
Any thoughts on the bird on the right? I'm thinking western and least are the only options now for that one and the bill seems short and straight for a least, so I'm leaning western.
They all come through here certain times of year. If the hatchery had some of the better ponds drained I believe I would have seen more shorebirds but other than a couple killdeer, those two were it... which was surprising... and disappointing.

1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Bird 2 is an Eastern Wood-Pewee. No Empidonax has projection that long.

Another thing I will try to make a mental note of. Good info.
It's difficult to see the features of bird #1 but it would LOOK like the wing projection isn't that great which could make it something other than a pewee?

5 hours ago, millipede said:

Any thoughts on the bird on the right? I'm thinking western and least are the only options now for that one and the bill seems short and straight for a least, so I'm leaning western.

I'm looking in my guide again... the short straight bill has me thinking semipalmated. Not sure why I was even thinking western now that I'm looking again.  hmmm...

But let's just throw a few more photos out to help...

image.png.a2bf2624f787d682806c7d627a41380a.png

image.thumb.png.8d44a9076bc62093a75ee79d6834b6e5.png

2 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Empids' is short for the genus Empidonax 

I knew that...  Just thought it was weird, in my Sibley's East it has a quick section on how to ID empids right in the middle of the pewees.

any thoughts on the other flycatcher? or the other peep?
I'm going to have a local guy look at it if he has time...

4 hours ago, millipede said:

I knew that...  Just thought it was weird, in my Sibley's East it has a quick section on how to ID empids right in the middle of the pewees.

any thoughts on the other flycatcher? or the other peep?
I'm going to have a local guy look at it if he has time...

The first two photos are not of sufficient quality to make an absolute certain identification. 2. is definitely a Pewee. I'd say the bird on the left is White-rumped, and yes, probably Semipalmated on the right.