Whatbird Community

Prey or Territory Dispute?

I was watching an osprey sitting on nest out on pilings in the Columbia River. Suddenly out of the corner of my eye I saw what at first impression I took to be 2 large birds tangling several feet above the water - by the time I looked over all I saw was another osprey rising from the water empty. I had decided he must have been fighting a large fish and lost it when I saw him coming back for another strike. Through my binos I watched him full on dive and strike at a DCCO who poked his head out of the water! The cormorant got away again and managed to dive in panic, barely escaping with his life. The osprey finally gave up hunting him and rejoined his mate on the nest. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, SirVive said:

I was watching an osprey sitting on nest out on pilings in the Columbia River. Suddenly out of the corner of my eye I saw what at first impression I took to be 2 large birds tangling several feet above the water - by the time I looked over all I saw was another osprey rising from the water empty. I had decided he must have been fighting a large fish and lost it when I saw him coming back for another strike. Through my binos I watched him full on dive and strike at a DCCO who poked his head out of the water! The cormorant got away again and managed to dive in panic, barely escaping with his life. The osprey finally gave up hunting him and rejoined his mate on the nest. 

Not long ago, hubby & I watched a documentary on ospreys that described exactly this behavior,  attributed to the osprey protecting their hunting territory.

Edited by floraphile
correction
  • Like 3