Whatbird Community

Eastern Wood-Pewee...maybe?

24 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Actually looks like a Least Flycatcher to me. Definitely not a pewee with that short primary projection. 

The head angle is really disorienting but I agree, some small empid. Probably Least.

1 minute ago, Seanbirds said:

The head angle is really disorienting but I agree, some small empid. Probably Least.

After looking at the underbill pattern I can see that this is indeed a Least Flycatcher.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aidan B said:

Actually looks like a Least Flycatcher to me. Definitely not a pewee with that short primary projection. 

Certainly none of my business but I noticed your most recent lifer is a Murphy's Petrel.  Do you mind if I ask where you saw it?  I read online it is normally in the South Pacific somewhere. 

I love reading these entries from senior birders (not an age determination) because there are so many I have never heard of.

On 5/23/2022 at 2:28 PM, CMac322 said:

Certainly none of my business but I noticed your most recent lifer is a Murphy's Petrel.  Do you mind if I ask where you saw it?  I read online it is normally in the South Pacific somewhere. 

I love reading these entries from senior birders (not an age determination) because there are so many I have never heard of.

I actually saw a couple Murphy's Petrels a few weeks ago around 20-25 miles off the coast of Sonoma County here in California. They're rare, but not entirely unexpected off the coast of California during the months of April and May. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

My fault. Of the OP’s flycatcher, not the Petrel. 

Gotcha. No worries. I was super curious as to how you may try to turn this into a Great-winged Petrel! 

• Haha 6