Whatbird Community

Red-necked Phalarope - SW MI 5/24

Posted (edited)

I feel like this is a Wilson's, not a Red-necked. The shape of the white throat patch in particular bothers me. I don't have much experience with these birds, however, so I'd appreciate if someone else could chime in on what makes this an RNPH as opposed to WIPH, especially with both being fairly unusual for Michigan.

Tagging @Tanager 101 and @blackburnian

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zoroark said:

I feel like this is a Wilson's, not a Red-necked. The shape of the white throat patch in particular bothers me. I don't have much experience with these birds, however, so I'd appreciate if someone else could chime in on what makes this an RNPH as opposed to WIPH, especially with both being fairly unusual for Michigan.

Tagging @Tanager 101 and @blackburnian

I say red necked because of the overall look at the bird. I am not an expert. I said red-necked based off of the neck. If you look at the photo it shows the darker area below the throat and it goes up on the back of the head. So basically just the color covering the area where the red neck would be. If you also look closely at the photo I can see the reddish color of the neck but maybe that is just me. Essentically I judged this bird from my experience of seeing them in the past and the red neck. Hope this helps I think my wording might be kind of confusing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for opinions everyone.  Reviewer has accepted it as Red-necked, and I think a birder is there today getting better looks at it.  He said it is on the North side of the lagoon, which is much closer than where it was yesterday.  

All that $$ spend on new camera and lens, and this digiscope picture is probably the best one I got.  

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3