Whatbird Community

Involuntarily replacing my binos. Suggestions?

Either I've misplaced them in the last three days or someone helped them out my car (usually locked but ?).

Considering these 10x42 from Vortex ($500), Kowa ($450), and Snypex ($430 on sale from $600).  Thoughts and experiences?  Thanks

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1401562-REG/vortex_v201_10x42_viper_hd_binocular.html 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1521083-REG/kowa_bdii_42_10xd_10x42_bd_ii_xd.html/overview

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275104-REG/snypex_9042d_ed_10x42_knight_d_ed_binocular.html

I have a pair of the Vortex 10x42.  I've used them hard for several years, and for me they're fine.  Of course, I use Vortex for everything (2 scopes, a monocular, my wife's binos, even our son has Vortex binos).  I also have an old pair of Diamondbacks, which I did once send in for repair, and that worked out well, except that I ended up dropping them again and eventually replaced them with the Vipers.

I don't know much about the other brands, except that many of the birders around me use Kowa scopes, which appear to be excellent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Oh, and they're Vortex Viper 10X42s.  I didn't mention that initially because I didn't want to skew any feedback.  Pretty good chance I'd have reordered them again but it never hurts to check what's out there.

I’m very happy with my Vortex Diamondbacks 10x42s! Great in low light!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I like mine.  Watch for sales and you can find them for less than $200.  Or check B&H or Adorama for used ones still under warranty. 

Thanks. The vortex 10x42 Vipers may be in my price range as well. I’m debating whether or not they’re worth the extra $. I tested them both out today, and I did see a difference, but I’m not sure if it’s worth double the $. 

3 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Thanks. The vortex 10x42 Vipers may be in my price range as well. I’m debating whether or not they’re worth the extra $. I tested them both out today, and I did see a difference, but I’m not sure if it’s worth double the $. 

The image is better with the Vipers but to me the real advantage is the reduced weight compared to the DBacks.  It depends on how long you plan to keep them.  If it's a once-a-decade purchase, I'd go for it.  Or get the DBacks and maybe trade up in a couple of years.

17 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

The image is better with the Vipers but to me the real advantage is the reduced weight compared to the DBacks.  It depends on how long you plan to keep them.  If it's a once-a-decade purchase, I'd go for it.  Or get the DBacks and maybe trade up in a couple of years.

Yeah, I just can’t decide. 

3 hours ago, IKLland said:

How do you like them? Any tips? 

Compared to the 8x42 Bushnell H20's I had before, I like them much more. Much better in low light, much slimmer in hand, sharper image, and more comfortable eye-cups (IMO). The eye cups disconnected from the rings, so they just kinda spin, but then still work. Not a big enough problem for me to trade them in. I haven't had enough bins to say much more. I can't speak on the weight, never bothered me.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2022 at 3:01 PM, IKLland said:

Do you still use these? I’m probably going to get a pair. 

That's what carry with me in the truck every day. I also have a pair of the crossfire that I won in a contest - I don't like them as well. Not necessarily the image quality but just the fit and feel - honestly might just be simply because they're different and I've used the D-backs so long they are like a bionic extention of me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2022 at 5:32 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

Thanks all! I ended up biting the bullet and went for the vortex 10x42 viper HD binoculars. So far they seem really good! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to that you lost your binoculars. Years ago my Zeiss binoculars were taken from my car. I do miss those! I turned the insurance money into a motorcycle which I do not regret! Regarding your binocular search, I do well purchasing through eBay. There’s usually someone willing to discount the price or offer it at a significantly low price for some reason another. If you’re patient on eBay you’ll usually find a deal. 

• Like 1