Whatbird Community

Bizarre Mourning Dove or something else???

I was birding along the Delaware Bay in NJ today & came across something pretty strange. I first saw it by a saltmarsh sitting on a berm at a distance of about 15 feet. I thought I was hallucinating at first & quickly grabbed my camera to try & get a shot but I spooked it & it flew to some distant cedars. That explains the terrible pictures, they are major crops, but the colors are completely accurate. The only thing I can think of is some type of staining but how would the face, breast & belly get stained red, the nape & part of the wings remain somewhat normal & the back end of the bird become black??? Is it an exotic that I'm not aware of?

52099983069_1ab5016ae7_b.jpg

52100245585_124887a518_b.jpg

52098715422_4474c901dc_b.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah, wish I was able to get a picture when it was close but I was in shock ?!! Wasn't aware of erythrism, that could explain the red coloring. Maybe a combination of that & melanism? The ring around the eye still looks blue too so that makes me wonder about staining. Shouldn't that have turned red too if it was a stain? I may see if I can send the pics to someone at Cornell & see what they have to say.

Using my over active imagination here, but I wonder what the effect would be if a Mourning Dove took a bath in a shallow pan of colored hummingbird nectar. My imagination could picture it looking like the bird in question here. I don't know if the dye in store bought nectar would stain like this, or if a bird would bath in such sticky bath water, but it's an imaginatively wild possibility.

6 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I think the bird is stained. The fact that the feet and legs are colored makes me think it's not a plumage issue.

2 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Using my over active imagination here, but I wonder what the effect would be if a Mourning Dove took a bath in a shallow pan of colored hummingbird nectar. My imagination could picture it looking like the bird in question here. I don't know if the dye in store bought nectar would stain like this, or if a bird would bath in such sticky bath water, but it's an imaginatively wild possibility.

I hadn't noticed that with the feet, thanks! Agree that most likely is staining but if it is how did the feet get stained & not the eye ring which remains blue in spite of the feathers surrounding it being red. The nectar would explain the red but not the black on the end of the bird. Again, not disagreeing, just finding it hard to come up with a scenario that would result in this combination of colors. A friend sent me a link to an article David Sibley has on his website about abnormal coloring. May post the pictures there & see if he has an opinion. Thanks again!

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

This is typical appearance for a crazed maniac with a chainsaw.  Did you notice any drunk / libidinous  teenagers, or parts thereof?

If that were the case shouldn't he be wearing a hockey mask also ?.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, stitch58 said:

If that were the case shouldn't he be wearing a hockey mask also ?.

That's for the Northern Crazed Dove (NCDO).  Southern (SCDO) wear overalls.  This one is clearly a California Crazed Dove (CCDO), since it's obviously nekkid.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 3