Whatbird Community

alder/willow behavior

Can you ID these by their behavior at all?
I was birding today and had at least 5 alder flycatchers, ID'd by sound... 
But there were a few empids that were just quiet.
One in particular hung out higher in the willows and other trees whereas all the alder flycatchers that I heard were always singing lower. This had me wondering if I was watching a willow flycatcher for a while. Why didn't it vocalize?  grrr....  (it's only a "need" for my year list)  I feel like it came in a little closer when I used willow playback but I can't be certain that is why it flew in that direction. It stayed up higher the whole time I watched it...  Definitely an empid, and no eye-ring.

19 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I've seen Willows down low and Alders up high...and Alders in willows and Willows in alders! :classic_tongue:

HA... fair enough.  I'll see if I got any photos of the quieter birds but I don't know how much they'd help if I even did. That one that stayed up high, I don't think I got a pic of it.

Hey, I got photos.
So, the first bird I saw was up high and shortly after there was one down lower. I do now know if it is the same bird.
But, if I'm right that it's an empid and not a pewee(why aren't they the same family? They're SO similar) then I think I do have a willow as there is little to no eye-ring. I'll post a couple pics. I have more.

Potential empid 1:
empid1-1.jpg.44fea7f44feda9f19dd6801373c9816f.jpg

empid1-4.jpg.1c79a64df2709d2910f4f885ff8d1494.jpg

and possible empid 2: this one was in the same area as an alder(near enough anyway) but the alders always seems to stay hidden on me(so far) while this one flew across my path... it was out in the open for a moment but, didn't cooperate for photos... so, these two photos are probably useless for ID. We'll see.
empid2.jpg.96128b225dd845f01f033380dbd5da70.jpg

empid2-1.jpg.b516b1a7ddecd1a91d0437bb2c5059c0.jpg

and then just for kicks... the obvious olive-sided flycatcher I saw. Only one I've seen this year...  It was out in the open and the DARK sides were VERY obvious. But I obviously missed it on the focus and then, it was gone. Where did it go after that? I don't know.
But, I was positive on the ID with that one. 🙂 
osfl.jpg.ba45128a7941672dd2a0f8c6fbc9ee3e.jpg

5 minutes ago, Avery said:

Your potential empid #1 looks like a pewee to me. 

oh poo...  ha.  I have no way of knowing but I don't believe it's the same bird as the one I was originally asking about. That bird stayed in the leaves up high and I never did get a pic. After I started walking away, this one showed up close to the path and down low. Very different behavior.
I have other photos of this bird but I'm not sure the angles are any better.

I'm so mad I didn't get pics of the empid right before it. It was definitely an empid, had more of the greenish-gray look to it.
I'll try to remember the undertail coverts... 
Maybe I should have stood there longer for the first bird... maybe I would have gotten a photo eventually? Sometimes, you only have so much time. If you spend it all in one spot, what else do you miss?  😕 
Oh well.

I am thinking the second one is an empid but, I'm also thinking it can't be narrowed down with those photos.

Maybe I'll go digging through some photos from other days to give you all more work. 🙂 (and me some more training.)

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, millipede said:

Maybe I should have stood there longer for the first bird... maybe I would have gotten a photo eventually? Sometimes, you only have so much time. If you spend it all in one spot, what else do you miss?  😕 

"A bird in the cam is worth two in the bush."  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1