Whatbird Community

I am sure that many/most already know this but for those that might not have figured it out yet, you can type a generic family name and the game will provide you with a full list of the possibilites that match. It won't help if the bird in question doesn't have an associated family in its name though. As an unrelated example, if you know you're looking at a goose and you type goose as your guess to help in your selection, you wouldn't find your bird in the list if you were looking at a Brant.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Colton V said:

How many people here use guides or reference photos for help on these?

Basically I do the same thing I do when IDing in the field or from a photo after the fact. I guess until I get it right. 😜 

I usually start out with a few guesses, even if they're wild guesses and usually solve it, if I do, with the assistance of iBird's index and it's thumbnail photos before goingΒ deeper into the guide, when needed. I have solved a few unassisted, mostly local birds, but there's too many birds that I don't even consider if I don't see their name/photo on a list for me not to use a list most of the time.

• Like 1

It was only the beginning of the week that I realized that you can revisit previous photos/pieces of the bird by clicking on any of the previous result boxes and ever since then I have been wondering if there's a way to see the pieces put together as you go? I can't find one but it took me 30ish games to figure out the photo thing so maybe I'm overlooking something that someone else has already discovered. Any insight out there?

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

It was only the beginning of the week that I realized that you can revisit previous photos/pieces of the bird by clicking on any of the previous result boxes and ever since then I have been wondering if there's a way to see the pieces put together as you go? I can't find one but it took me 30ish games to figure out the photo thing so maybe I'm overlooking something that someone else has already discovered. Any insight out there?

I didn't even know you could do that.................................

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanager 101 said:

Nope I just use my own knowledgeΒ 

Or the lack thereof.Β  I'll often click 'Guess' without entering a species.Β  I opened today with a Carolina Chickadee, so I didn't even have the right genus.Β  From there I went to Black-and-white, so at least I got in the neighborhood.Β  I skipped the third and fourth, and got it on the fifth.Β  I'm not sure how I could have used a guide or reference to narrow it down, or if I'm willing to spend the time.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

birdie πŸ¦‰ #35: πŸŸ₯πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›

This was one of my favorite birds when I was young. I have photographed it.

I've learned that it's best to not waste a guess by putting nothing. Even if you haven't the foggiest, at least put in a bird with a color or with common, American, northern, winged, tailed, or headed in its name.

I've been playing this game without a field guide and treating it as a way to test my knowledge. However, it's perfectly fine to play with a field guide, as then it's a test in your ability to use the tools at your disposal.

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Zoroark said:

I've learned that it's best to not waste a guess by putting nothing. Even if you haven't the foggiest, at least put in a bird with a color or with common, American, northern, winged, tailed, or headed in its name.

That's a good strategy that I hadn't considered. Like @Charlie Spencer, I sometimes make empty guesses when I'm stumped. Your suggestion not only creates a chance to get lucky on a wild guess, it can point you to, or away from, a specific part of the name.Β πŸ‘

• Like 1

• Kevin changed the title to Birdie