Whatbird Community

Chick mortality

SirVive

I had a pair of chickadees nesting in a box on my patio for the second year in a row. They laid 7 eggs this time and all of them hatched. 14 days ago I peeked in on them when the parents were out and they looked like the picture. The parents have been really busy bringing caterpillars every day. Last weekend was the last time I particularly noticed them coming but I've been so busy since I haven't paid attention. I went to take another peek today expecting to find them gone and instead I found a nest full of dead nearly fledged chicks and maggots ?  Is there anything else that could have caused this other than starvation from somehow losing both adults?  Diseases or something? 

20220529_122436.jpg

• Sad 1

Had the same situation happen with me last year with Tree Swallows. 3 alive chicks one morning, 3 dead chicks the next morning probably 2-3 days out from leaving the nest. 
Nature sucks sometimes ?

Is it possible that another bird, such as a house sparrow, was feeling a little infanticidal? I’ve had them smash eggs before, and know they can also kill adults or chicks, but I thought that was only if they were interested in using the same nest box. 

24 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Is it possible that another bird, such as a house sparrow, was feeling a little infanticidal? I’ve had them smash eggs before, and know they can also kill adults or chicks, but I thought that was only if they were interested in using the same nest box. 

I built my boxes to exclude them and I've watched them try to get in for 10 minutes unsuccessfully in the past so it would have to be something smaller than a HOSP if so. 

I did see an adult BCCH at the feeder today and prior I was only seeing the one pair so I suspect they are still around. 

Edited by SirVive
  • Like 1