Whatbird Community

California hummer

Working through my trip pictures chronologically and I have reached California (half way point).  Before I left, I had assumed female hummer pics would be almost impossible to identify.  But I read that female Costa's underparts are cleaner white than Anna's and these look pretty clean to me.  So, I'm wondering if this one can be identified?

I took these pictures at Big Morongo Canyon on April 21.  Common hummers here include Anna's, Costa's and Black-chinned. 

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Big Morongo Canyon.  I got there early in the morning when it was almost deserted and the weather was beautiful.  Great place to hike and lots of wildlife.  It ended up being one of my favorite stops during the week I spent in California before starting my long drive home.

Thanks in advance...

738135500_DSC06981large.thumb.jpg.66c04e0cd6700ef4e78a76ee2a1edbd8.jpg

1085899837_DSC06994large.thumb.jpg.39a440d42e120663e905a6bae4d114cd.jpg

Just now, IKLland said:

We’re you there in time to see the Worm eating warbler? It’s too bad it didn’t stick longer, as i would’ve gone to see it this week. 

Never mind. Didn’t see the date in your post. 

31 minutes ago, Jim W said:

Thanks all.  I suppose this is not an exciting bird for the three of you, but for an east coaster passing through it was a lifer.

I live in the Bay Area, so Costa’s are only occasional vagrants up here. They are actually very hard to come by in my county. 

They are one of my favorite birds and I love seeing them. Admittedly, I really never tire of any species of hummingbird.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DLecy said:

I live in the Bay Area, so Costa’s are only occasional vagrants up here. They are actually very hard to come by in my county. 

They are one of my favorite birds and I love seeing them. Admittedly, I really never tire of any species of hummingbird.

Even though they do live here in Orange County, they’re quite uncommon. In fact, I still need one for the year. Once I get away from the coast, they get way more common. 

• Like 2