Viurre

Three from Yesterday, Western PA 11-11-18

1. Is this a Cooper's Hawk? Or other?

DSCN6298fg

2. Hairy or Downy Woodpecker?

DSCN6418ge

3. Don't know, need ID

DSCN6099ze

If the woodpecker is on a standard sized suet feeder, I would say the bird is too small to be a Hairy Woodpecker. While we can't see the tip of the bill, it still looks more like a small Downy Woodpecker's bill to me. I'm sure someone more competent at IDs will clarify whether this is a Downy or not, and provide more reasons behind the ID.

• Like 1

Suet cakes are 4.5 inches on a side.  Nat. Geo.  gives the size of Downy as 6.75 inches and Hairy as 9.25 inches. 

In the absence of other evidence I would agree with lonestranger and say Downy.

Dang, I was focused on the missing black bars on the outer tail feathers and missed the suet block size comparison.:classic_blink:

• Like 1

Is the third one a Broad-winged Hawk? I'm not comfortable in eastern raptor identification but don't they have a dark bib and sides and whitish wings?

For #2, pretty sure this is a Downy. I’ve noticed that sometimes the dotted outer tail feathers in the Downys aren’t always visible (or just not there at all).  The bill  is smaller relative to body size and has a more  “hunched” look than Hairy’s - to me at least. 

Edited by Winter

On 11/12/2018 at 1:12 PM, Viurre said:

Anyone else want to take a guess at #3?

I would guess, and it would only be a guess, that this is a red-shouldered hawk. Broad-winged hawks are early migrants and most of them would have passed through PA by mid September according to HawkMountain. I know that birds follow migration dates as much as they follow boundaries on range maps so it's not definitive, but it's enough to influence my guess for red-shouldered hawk. 

http://www.hawkmountain.org/raptorpedia/hawks-at-hawk-mountain/hawk-species-at-hawk-mountain/broad-winged-hawk/page.aspx?id=655