Whatbird Community

Confirm Lifer Pigeon Guillemot

5 hours ago, IKLland said:

Yup. Remember location and date. 

4 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

I agree

South Pole in summer or Hawaii - I forget which. 😉  Or a cross between the two - Oregon Coast in June , 50's and sunny.:classic_cool:

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, SirVive said:

South Pole in summer or Hawaii - I forget which. 😉  Or a cross between the two - Oregon Coast in June , 50's and sunny.:classic_cool:

Oh to have daytime temps in the 50s in June! We'll have sunrise temps in the 50s for the next couple or three days at least. Today it hit 99 in DC. :classic_sad:

Edited by Peromyscus

1 hour ago, Peromyscus said:

Oh to have daytime temps in the 50s in June! We'll have sunrise temps in the 50s for the next couple or three days at least. Today it hit 99 in DC. :classic_sad:

They were just glad we brought the sun at all. Back home a couple hours away we got 1.36" at my house in 24 hours a few days ago. But I totally agree - I'd so much rather wear a jacket and have an empty beach because no one else agrees.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SirVive said:

They were just glad we brought the sun at all. Back home a couple hours away we got 1.36" at my house in 24 hours a few days ago. But I totally agree - I'd so much rather wear a jacket and have an empty beach because no one else agrees.

We had an inch of rain in 20 minutes in my neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure we've had an inch of rain total since that day.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

We had an inch of rain in 20 minutes in my neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure we've had an inch of rain total since that day.

In New Mexico, we dream of an inch of rain.  We've had a few drops where I live, but I don't think we've had any measurable rain since March.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

In New Mexico, we dream of an inch of rain.  We've had a few drops where I live, but I don't think we've had any measurable rain since March.

Had a farmer friend out from Montana a few weeks ago - he said they put a soil probe down 4' and didn't find moisture 😕  The wheat headed out less than 12" tall. Another farmer friend from the 'dry' eastern part of WA has a bumper crop but they are fighting rust it's been so wet - go figure. All depends on where the storm patterns go.

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

We'll have sunrise temps in the 50s for the next couple or three days at least

HA!  In SC, we haven't seen south of 65 in weeks.  On the other hand, the hit-or-miss thunderstorms brought 3.25 inches on Thursday and another 1.25 last night.  That completely refilled the nearby farm pond, effectively ending vagrant shorebird season there.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

8 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

HA!  In SC, we haven't seen south of 65 in weeks.  On the other hand, the hit-or-miss thunderstorms brought 3.25 inches on Thursday and another 1.25 last night.  That completely refilled the nearby farm pond, effectively ending vagrant shorebird season there.

Forget 65 in weeks, we haven't seen 70 in months.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Of that I am envious. It’s been 90’s here, with short bursts of possible tornado bearing supercells restocking the water content of the air. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

I should add that when I wrote that, I was feeling impatient because my Facebook friends in Santa Fe and Albuquerque were posting pictures of rain at their houses, but it hadn't rained up here in Española.  However, it did rain here last night, probably a quarter of an inch or more, so I'm not going to complain for at least a week.  Anyway, what's more important is that the fires got rained on.

Edited by Jerry Friedman
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

3 hours ago, Avery said:

Of that I am envious. It’s been 90’s here, with short bursts of possible tornado bearing supercells restocking the water content of the air. 

??? I don't think you read my post right, it has been 107-110 the last few weeks. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

??? I don't think you read my post right, it has been 107-110 the last few weeks. 

On second thought I DON'T think I want to visit Kevin. He can bring his parka and come visit me.

Edited by SirVive
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, SirVive said:

On second thought I DON'T think I want to visit Kevin. He can bring his parka and come visit me.

Come in the winter, I'll wear my parka and you can be in short sleeves. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good for you. I got Pigeon Guillemot in San Simeon, CA. Red mouth was distinctive, as was the high-pitched call. Flew from rocky shore to outer surf, swam for a bit, then flew back. Black Guillemot range much farther north.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Good for you. I got Pigeon Guillemot in San Simeon, CA. Red mouth was distinctive, as was the high-pitched call. Flew from rocky shore to outer surf, swam for a bit, then flew back. Black Guillemot range much farther north.

Got some really good looks at these even though I was supposed to be spending time with my non-birding spouse on our anniversary. Ed Pullen is right - there is one good reason to visit the beach. 😉  They came in as close as 50' from the sand. Those red feet really look cool when you can see them right through the wave.