Whatbird Community

Bird in Flight ID needed.

Not sure if these incidental iPhone max zoomed pics and associated cropped ones are enough for a positive ID, but I'm thinking maybe lifer, so I'd thought I'd ask.  One thing I can add from my own eyes is that a good portion of the ends of the wings (maybe 25-33% were black).  Taken this afternoon in Boynton Beach, Florida:

dZlVnKk.jpg

vqf8VyM.jpg

pahFcYg.jpg

i2hYnkr.jpg

Edited by dragon49

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

American White Pelican and Wood Stork are two possibilities.

From my googling the species in flight, not sure which one, but probably one of them.  

18 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

American White Pelican? One was reported in Wakodahatchee Wetlands, West Palm Beach, as recently as the 23rd, on eBird.

eta: Sniped. And, I hadn't considered Wood Stork.

I know, I saw the checklist and am headed there this weekend to try and get the lifer. Wakodahatchee Wetlands is in Delray Beach.

11 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

I feel that the wingtips are black but the apparent dark color along the trailing edge is a photo artifact, also seen on the leading edge, so I'd guess White Ibis.

Not a White Ibis.  The black on the wings on a White Ibis in flight doesn't extend nearly as far inward as the black saturation I saw much better with my own eyes.  I also recognize White Ibises beaks quickly and that wasn't apparent to me.

Edited by dragon49