Whatbird Community

Florida ID help pleasde

Hey there, Peeps.  I've missed you.  Been battling cancer again.  Anyway, backyard bird (tail-less) photo taken on May 23, 2022.  Orlando, Central Florida.  It doesn't look like a baby Crow or Grackle or anything I know (and I've gotten better over the years).  So your help will be greatly appreciated.  God bless you and yours and thank you for helping this sick, old broad!  Nancy Smith

DSC_1245.thumb.JPG.8db87516ada3ba13dc2c49a5c314cbe4.JPGDSC_1257.thumb.JPG.f3e49df8b7bee99f9fc5385ecaa369b7.JPGDSC_1254.thumb.JPG.47c3b8668449adcdd0ead0614c107978.JPGDSC_1254.NEFDSC_1254.NEFDSC_1248.thumb.JPG.2ecb5372168f05dbdc9ff4531b3d92dc.JPG

2 hours ago, Tanager 101 said:

I'd say definitely a grackle, not sure which species.

Get well soon! I'll say a prayer for you!

We usually have Boat-tailed Grackles here.  No tail ... bless its heart.  Thank so much  If I here different from any of the Florida peeps who know more than I do, I'll let you know.  God bless you and yours.  Stay safe and sound!  Miss Nancy

• Like 1

Thanks Tanager 101 and The Bird Nuts.  I appreciate it.

I heard from my two professional birders one here (I call him The Professor as he knows everything about every bird, bug, etc.) and one from Canada who travels the world birding.  Lets see if this will paste:  I'm pretty sure I agree with them that it's a fledgling (baby) American Crow.  Thanks to you both for your help.  I really appreciate you.

• Wayne Kennedy

I fairly certain it is a baby crow. If you go to google and do "baby crow" then click on images, you well see some that look very much like this (and one that looks exactly like this one including the lost of tail.) Wonderful four photo combination showing the bird from all sides. Feather detail is nice and sharp. Eye and bill are clearly shown along with head color and feather detail different than other feathers on the bird. Foot placement is marvelous. Well done.
  • Love this montage, Nancy! I agree with Wayne that it's a baby crow. I also used the Merlin photo ID app just to double check and it showed American Crow right away. Lovely sharp images and great catchlights in the eyes ?

Sue Milks 1h

Love this montage, Nancy! I agree with Wayne that it's a baby crow. I also used the Merlin photo ID app just to double check and it showed American Crow right away. Lovely sharp images and great catchlights in the eyes ?
  • Like 1

Thanks Tanager 101 and The Bird Nuts.  I appreciate it.

I heard from my two professional birders one here (I call him The Professor as he knows everything about every bird, bug, etc.) and one from Canada who travels the world birding.  Lets see if this will paste:  I'm pretty sure I agree with them that it's a fledgling (baby) American Crow.  Thanks to you both for your help.  I really appreciate you.

• Wayne Kennedy

I fairly certain it is a baby crow. If you go to google and do "baby crow" then click on images, you well see some that look very much like this (and one that looks exactly like this one including the lost of tail.) Wonderful four photo combination showing the bird from all sides. Feather detail is nice and sharp. Eye and bill are clearly shown along with head color and feather detail different than other feathers on the bird. Foot placement is marvelous. Well done.
  • Love this montage, Nancy! I agree with Wayne that it's a baby crow. I also used the Merlin photo ID app just to double check and it showed American Crow right away. Lovely sharp images and great catchlights in the eyes ?

Thanks everyone.  I've copied and posted back on Flickr to my two birder friends your four comments.  We'll see if they respond.  God bless you all for helping me as you always do.  I've been birding 12 years now, and even through four cancer battles and chemobrain, I've learned so much.  I couldn't have done it without you Peeps.  God bless you each and every onel

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NancySmith133 said:

two professional birders

No offence NancySmith133, but if your professional birders are looking to Google and Merlin to ID your bird, they might not be as experienced as you first thought. Even an inexperienced birder like me knows that Google is riddled with mis-identified photos, and Merlin is prone to mis-identification too, sometimes on obvious birds. I'd take Google and Merlin suggestions with a grain of salt, the same applies to suggestions coming from birders that use Google and Merlin as their only source of reference. ?

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone.  After many different IDs from many smart peeps, I'm going with a Common Grackle fledgling.  The Bird Nuts is the winner! 

Thank you EVERYONE for helping me ID this common, tail-less fledgling in my Orlando backyard.  I really do appreciate you all.  May God bless you and keep you safe out on the trail!

Edited by NancySmith133
  • Like 3