Whatbird Community

Sunflower Seed Shortage

I'm curious how everyone is coping with the seed shortage, or if it's affecting anyone else yet. We usually buy 2 40 pound bags of Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds at a time, which I am getting very low on. Our supply has been hit and miss for a long while now, but there's been getting more and more misses between hits lately and it's looking like I might run out for a while. Instead of rationing seed by not always filling all of the feeders or by waiting until the last feeder is near empty before refilling any of them, it looks like I might have to leave most, or all, of the feeders empty for a few days if I want to have any seed for the long weekend. *gulp* Anyone else having similar problems getting BOSS and how do you cope with the shortage?

Edited by lonestranger

5 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I'm curious how everyone is coping with the seed shortage, or if it's affecting anyone else yet. We usually buy 2 40 pound bags of Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds at a time, which I am getting very low on. Our supply has been hit and miss for a long while now, but there's been getting more and more misses between hits lately and it's looking like I might run out for a while. Instead of rationing seed by not always filling all of the feeders or by waiting until the last feeder is near empty before refilling any of them, it looks like I might have to leave most, or all, of the feeders empty for a few days if I want to have any seed for the long weekend. *gulp* Anyone else having similar problems getting BOSS and how do you cope with the shortage?

About 5 months ago, I decided that BOSS was almost certainly going to get more expensive, if not hard/impossible to find, so I found some that was 12$ a bag, I thoroughly stocked up. As a result, I now have 5 gallon buckets full of BOSS. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tclarkwood said:

We can still get BOSS at Tractor Supply but a 40 lb bag is now $32 instead of $18 2 years ago. It is getting to the point where it is going to be too costly to feed the birds. 

So true!! I've been feeding the birds Pennington Sunflower Chips from Walmart for a few years now. The birds love it, and I like it because there's no waste. When I started buying it, it was $5 for a 5 pound bag. Now it's up to $13  per bag! I've already cut the amount I feed them in half, and if it keeps going up I may have to quit feeding them altogether. On a fixed income, I just can't afford it!! 😟

• Sad 2