Whatbird Community

We've been trying to find a Lesser Scaup all year.  There were some reported on the ponds north of Willard Bay State Park in Northern Utah, Near Brigham City.  We went there today  about noon and there were a ton of different ducks but our equipment just didn't quite bring them in close enough for a positive ID.  With Ring-Necked ducks, Goldeneyes, Redheads, Hooded Mergansers, all kinds of similar birds identified, I just took lots of pics and tried to ID them at home by zooming in, but not with a lot of luck. 

I think I'll need to go back again with a bigger lens I can perhaps borrow from my daughter!

A couple of photos gave me some hope though.  Perhaps this is a Lesser Scaup hiding among these Hooded Mergansers - the one in the center of the photos - a male.

Any ideas?

DSC_0175 - Copy possible LESC.jpg

DSC_0175 copy - possible LESC.jpg

Yes, I think you have a L. Scauup there. Coloration/contrast look good, as does the peaky crown and bill shape.

There are some male mallards among the bank ducks, and there is a good chance they are all mallards.

8 hours ago, Grandpa Gray J said:

We've been trying to find a Lesser Scaup all year.  There were some reported on the ponds north of Willard Bay State Park in Northern Utah, Near Brigham City.  We went there today  about noon and there were a ton of different ducks but our equipment just didn't quite bring them in close enough for a positive ID.  With Ring-Necked ducks, Goldeneyes, Redheads, Hooded Mergansers, all kinds of similar birds identified, I just took lots of pics and tried to ID them at home by zooming in, but not with a lot of luck. 

I think I'll need to go back again with a bigger lens I can perhaps borrow from my daughter!

A couple of photos gave me some hope though.  Perhaps this is a Lesser Scaup hiding among these Hooded Mergansers - the one in the center of the photos - a male.

Any ideas?

DSC_0175 - Copy possible LESC.jpg

DSC_0175 copy - possible LESC.jpg

Good job spotting him.