Whatbird Community

Your best yard/patch birds!

This has kinda been hinted at and mentioned in other topics, but I'm interested to see what the best birds you guys get/have gotten in your yards/patches are. 

My best yard birds are an Adult Male Orchard Oriole (Pretty darn good yard bird in CA) and a flock of flyover White-faced Ibis

OROR: https://ebird.org/checklist/S98564718 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98383334

WFIB: https://ebird.org/checklist/S87385340

• Like 4

I've had a few oddballs around the house that stopped by for a day or two before moving on. A worthy note is that my house is in the middle of a bunch of suburban desert neighborhoods. I am near a park with a wash and do get a few flyovers like geese, ducks, killdeer, gulls, and kestrels. I get the usual feeder fare, as well.

The most interesting yard birds since late 2020, sorted taxonomically:

• Greater Roadrunner
  • Rufous Hummingbird
  • Red-naped Sapsucker
  • Western Wood-Pewee
  • Say's Phoebe
  • Red-breasted Nuthatch
  • Hermit Thrush
  • Green-tailed Towhee
  • Townsend's Warbler
  • Wilson's Warbler
  • Black-headed Grosbeak
  • Like 3

One 'yard' (everything heard or seen from my apartment & parking lot in a 10-unit 3-story garden apartment building in the DC suburbs) had as its best bird a singing Yellow-throated Warbler, which is not something that I expected to see away from breeding habitat.

There's another thread on this same topic, last posted on in June: https://forums.whatbird.com/index.php?/topic/17962-yardbirds/page/9/#comments

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Three good ones I can think of right now (Vermont yard):

Connecticut Warbler

Orange-crowned Warbler

Brant

And we get Golden Eagles and Northern Goshawks regularly.  White-winged Crossbill was pretty good too.

• Like 1

Some of my best ones have been:

Ring-necked Pheasant

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Glossy Ibis

Sora

Pectoral Sandpiper

Baird's Sandpiper

White-rumped Sandpiper

Wilson's Phalarope

Bonaparte's Gull

Peregrine Falcon

Prairie Falcon

Merlin

Willow Flycatcher

Bell's Vireo

Bewick's Wren (Quite rare here)

Sedge Wren

American Pipit

Lapland Longspur

LeConte's Sparrow

Fox Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow (a really tough bird to get here, for some reason)

Painted Bunting

Lazuli Bunting

Bobolink

Red Crossbill

• Like 6

Five first county records: Whooping Crane, Black-billed Cuckoo, Canada Warbler, American Bittern, and Hutton's Vireo.

Other notable birds are Purple Finch, Sage Thrasher, LeCont's Sparrow, American Woodcock, Golden-fronted Woodpecker, and Olive-sided Flycatcher.

Currently my yard list is up to 189, and hope to be over 190 by the end of the year. 

• Like 7

My only decent yardbird has been a Lawrence’s Goldfinch. I’m really confused on why he was here, he was eating from my feeders(which is unusual), and was the completely wrong habitat(suburban backyard compared to a dry canyon with oaks).

• Like 5

19 hours ago, IKLland said:

I’m really confused on why he was here, he was eating from my feeders(which is unusual), and was the completely wrong habitat(suburban backyard compared to a dry canyon with oaks).

That's what the ones that come by our house (also very suburban) do also. I think that is pretty typical of what they do when they move into suburban/urban areas (take advantage of a new food source).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...