Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

Why i did not think that the sandpipers were not pectoral; PE SA do not have black feet, and the photos you took seem to show black feet. The birds also seem to have stouter necks than a PE SA. Your photos show that the sandpipers have a  black line going through their eye, which if you look at the photo of the  WH RU SA you can see that it is more defined than the bairds sandpiper.

th?id=OIP.ZFPVG9NcvDQY4CKzAlfNEAHaGS&pid=Api&P=0&w=205&h=174                          Bairds%20sandpiper.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

Why i did not think that the sandpipers were not pectoral; PE SA do not have black feet, and the photos you took seem to show black feet. The birds also seem to have stouter necks than a PE SA. Your photos show that the sandpipers have a  black line going through their eye, which if you look at the photo of the  WH RU SA you can see that it is more defined than the bairds sandpiper.

th?id=OIP.ZFPVG9NcvDQY4CKzAlfNEAHaGS&pid=Api&P=0&w=205&h=174                          Bairds%20sandpiper.jpg

Good point. Maybe you're right. Anyone else have any thoughts. I think I am agreeing with @Birds are cool

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Hasan you are saying that these sandpipers are not id able, but in my post alder flycatcher, you said I saw a Phoebe in the second photo. I do not keen to be rude, but you are telling multiple people that their photos cannot be Id. @DLecy what do you think about @Tanager 101 and @Birds are cool photos in the posts MAWA (magnolia warbler) and which sandpiper

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

you are telling multiple people that their photos cannot be Id.

Lots of photos can't be identified.  Indeed, many times an identification is forced onto a photo that doesn't show enough evidence to eliminate the alternatives.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yes, depending on the type of bird, varying quality of photo will be required for an ID. In this case, we would need a better photo for an ID.

The mark of a good birder is the ability and humility to admit when a bird is not identifiable, as opposed to being able to identify every single one.

Edited by Hasan
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

Look at the bird on the far right. It seems idable to me.

FYI @Birds are coolHasan is an ornithologist, and arguably one of the top, if not the top, active experts we have on this site.  If you ever see his name pop up with a comment, I would generally take it as the 'gospel', or if not that, then at least extremely heavily weighted as correct/appropriately abstaining from exact ID.  Aidan B is also ridiculously good and appropriately cautious at ID'ing birds, amongst many others as well of course.  Just thought I would provide this context for you in case you were not aware of the same.  I hope you have a great day!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

Hasan is an ornithologist, and arguably one of the top, if not the top, active experts we have on this site.  ... Aidan B is also ridiculously good and appropriately cautious at ID'ing birds, amongst many others as well of course.

That doesn't make them exempt from being questioned, of course, but one should consider the evidence supporting one's position.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

FYI @Birds are coolHasan is an ornithologist, and arguably one of the top, if not the top, active experts we have on this site.  If you ever see his name pop up with a comment, I would generally take it as the 'gospel', or if not that, then at least extremely heavily weighted as correct/appropriately abstaining from exact ID.  Aidan B is also ridiculously good and appropriately cautious at ID'ing birds, amongst many others as well of course.  Just thought I would provide this context for you in case you were not aware of the same.  I hope you have a great day!

@Hasan you are an ornithologist?!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

Where did @Caley Thomas 2.0 get his information from then? 🤔

Oops! Not sure where I picked that up, but no doubt he is a great bird identifier regardless. General point being, although much easier said than done admittedly, try hard to resist the tendencies of the Dunning-Kruger effect as an amateur birder, as it’s counter productive to one’s individual advancement in the hobby IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...