Whatbird Community

Hi! Thank you for your response. Seems that way but it doesn't have any coloring on the wings. Not expert at birds by any stretch of the imagination, but could this be some kind of hybrid?

1 minute ago, armada68 said:

Hi! Thank you for your response. Seems that way but it doesn't have any coloring on the wings. Not expert at birds by any stretch of the imagination, but could this be some kind of hybrid?

I'm looking at it again and I changed my mind, it is a juvenile Mallard, not a female. That is probably why. If you look at the head you can still seen some of the downy fluff stuff.

• Like 2

mallard. armada68, if you look at the bill off this duck, you can see how part off the bill is yellowish, and part of it is brown/green, this bill coloring is an easy way to id female and imm. mallards. Unless in flight it can be hard sometimes to see the coloring on the wings. Good birding

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tanager 101 said:

I'm looking at it again and I changed my mind, it is a juvenile Mallard, not a female. That is probably why. If you look at the head you can still seen some of the downy fluff stuff.

Thank you once again! Lately there were "funny" things happening at Green-Wood, like Chukar was seeing around. And there was a report from near by Prospect Park day after I have seeing this bird, about hybrid Mallard/American duck. So i was thinking that maybe "funny thing" happened again.

6 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

mallard. armada68, if you look at the bill off this duck, you can see how part off the bill is yellowish, and part of it is brown/green, this bill coloring is an easy way to id female and imm. mallards. Unless in flight it can be hard sometimes to see the coloring on the wings. Good birding

Thank you! Lately there were "funny" things happening at Green-Wood, like Chukar was seeing around. And there was a report from near by Prospect Park day after I have seeing this bird, about hybrid Mallard/American duck. So i was thinking that maybe "funny thing" happened again.