Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

Hello once again everyone! Can you please try to identify this two birds for me! I know, pics are not "something" to brag about it, especially bird with white and yellow, but maybe someone knows what this birds are. Thank you!

DSCN8360.JPG

DSCN8362.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The reason i believe the second photo to be a NO PA is because if you look at the yellow on neck, you can see that there is an orange splotch in the middle of the yellow. The head looks blue, can you confirm that? Now to narrow down the first photo. First I need to know if the bird had a white eye ring. In the photo the bird seems to have an eye ring, but I cannot tell.

NA WA and CO WA have eye rings that are very easy to see. Your bird does not. Female MO WA have a white ring that sticks close to the eye, which if you look at the photo, the bird seems to have white on the bottom of the eye. I would call it a female mourning warbler. Look at the photo i have attached to compare.

NOT MY PHOTO

48236655716_054a46bb8b_b.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

First bird could be a NA WA or a MO WA, the second seems like a NO PA. The first bird could also be a CO WA.

Four letter banding codes are written as such, Nashville Warbler = NAWA. If you are going to use them, might I suggest using them correctly. Putting a space between them can be confusing and misleading.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Four letter banding codes are written as such, Nashville Warbler = NAWA. If you are going to use them, might I suggest using them correctly. Putting a space between them can be confusing and misleading.

Also, not all of us have all of these codes committed to memory, so we may have to take some time to figure out which species the code is referring to.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Peromyscus said:

Also, not all of us have all of these codes committed to memory, so we may have to take some time to figure out which species the code is referring to.

Yeah I know very very of them and when banding codes are used I have to guess which species.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Four letter banding codes are written as such, Nashville Warbler = NAWA. If you are going to use them, might I suggest using them correctly. Putting a space between them can be confusing and misleading.

I am agree with that. I am assuming that MO WA is a Mourning Warbler and NO PA is a Northern Parula, but what is CO WA?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

The reason i believe the second photo to be a NO PA is because if you look at the yellow on neck, you can see that there is an orange splotch in the middle of the yellow. The head looks blue, can you confirm that? Now to narrow down the first photo. First I need to know if the bird had a white eye ring. In the photo the bird seems to have an eye ring, but I cannot tell.

NA WA and CO WA have eye rings that are very easy to see. Your bird does not. Female MO WA have a white ring that sticks close to the eye, which if you look at the photo, the bird seems to have white on the bottom of the eye. I would call it a female mourning warbler. Look at the photo i have attached to compare.

NOT MY PHOTO

48236655716_054a46bb8b_b.jpg

Unfortunately, that's the only pics i have. So i can't confirm anything. I would, just guessing. I will agree with first pic being MOWA, that's what Merlin ID keeps showing. With second one, is it possible to be Yellow Throated Warbler? It is a long shot, bird to be on Long Island, New York, but... There was before reports of Yellow Throated Warbler in NY

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, armada68 said:

Unfortunately, that's the only pics i have. So i can't confirm anything. I would, just guessing. I will agree with first pic being MOWA, that's what Merlin ID keeps showing. With second one, is it possible to be Yellow Throated Warbler? It is a long shot, bird to be on Long Island, New York, but... There was before reports of Yellow Throated Warbler in NY

Yellow-throated Warbler would have some streaking on the sides of the breast, 
I agree on Northern Parula.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

Alright sorry about the codes. That's how I learned them. Mourning warbler and northern paurula. CO WA was Connecticut warbler as presumed 

The correct banding code for Connecticut Warbler is CONW, not COWA. The unmodified code conflicts with Colima Warbler. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The issue of the banding codes has been discussed before. I personally generally ignore threads that only use them, because I'm not familiar with most of them, since they aren't used here and we have a different set of species so there's not a lot of value for me to bother learning them. It has been suggested before that the polite/considerate approach would be to identify the species with its full name first, and then use the banding codes as a shorthand if you want to. I certainly prefer that, to the point that I generally ignore threads that don't have the full names. 

However, criticizing other users in the forums is not acceptable. Making polite suggestions is OK but calling others out and telling them they're doing things wrong is not.

Edited by Aveschapines
typo
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

The issue of the banding codes has been discussed before. I personally generally ignore threads that only use them, because I'm not familiar with most of them, since they aren't used here and we have a different set of species so there's not a lot of value for me to bother learning them. It has been suggested before that the polite/considerate approach would be to ideentify the species with its full name first, and then use the banding codes as a shorthand if you want to. I certainly prefer that, to the point that I generally ignore threads that don't have the full names. 

However, criticizing other users in the forums is not acceptable. Making polite suggestions is OK but calling others out and telling them they're doing things wrong is not.

I agree with the first part for sure. This is also the general rule of thumb when on other forums and the main public listserve used in the USA (The Birding List Digest).

As for the second part, could you please clarify? I'm wondering if you consider suggesting that someone, when posting in this forum, use codes in the correct format as set forth the by the U.S. Bird Banding Laboratory (BBL) and Institute for Bird Populations (IBL) is not an appropriate suggestion and is instead a criticism? I'm a little confused here as when I look back on the thread I don't see anything that constitutes a criticism IMO, unless something was removed that I can't see.

If it was my comment, that was definitely not my intention as I was simply trying to explain that there is a correct way to type/write codes (set forth by scientific organizations, not simply personal preference), that helps lessen confusion surrounding the codes...which many people already find confusing in the first place.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first bird is definitely not a Mourning Warbler. The second is a Northern Parula.

Both Connecticut and Mourning Warblers are chunky, secretive birds, rather unlikely to hang out in the canopy of a tree.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...