Whatbird Community

Connecticut Warbler?

I would think so. 

It is not a mourning warbler, it would be more chunky. Also, only female morning warblers have the lighter colored gray/white on their throats, but female morning warblers lack the pinkish beak your bird has. 

It is not a Nashville warbler.  Both the male and the female have yellow throats.

The reason I believe your bird to be a Connecticut warbler is because it is not chunky in appearance. If you look at the birds throat, it is lighter than the rest of the gray on its head neck. In the second and first photo, underneath that lighter colored patch you can see a very dark grey patch. Also Connecticut warblers have pink bills.

This looks fine for Mourning Warbler. 

Connecticut is a chunky warbler, perhaps the most chunky warbler, in fact. 

Thick pink legs rule out any smaller warblers, and shape, lack of eyering, plus the fact that there's only one record of Connecticut in the county rule that species out.

@Birds are cool what field guide are you using? If none, I'd highly recommend the Sibley guide. It feels like you're looking at images of the birds without having experience in the field with these species or viewing the key features from a field guide, but this can be misleading as it won't always be obvious what to use as a field mark. For instance, bill color is not useful here. I'd also consult the range map to know what birds are expected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hasan said:

This looks fine for Mourning Warbler. 

Connecticut is a chunky warbler, perhaps the most chunky warbler, in fact. 

Thick pink legs rule out any smaller warblers, and shape, lack of eyering, plus the fact that there's only one record of Connecticut in the county rule that species out.

@Birds are cool what field guide are you using? If none, I'd highly recommend the Sibley guide. It feels like you're looking at images of the birds without having experience in the field with these species or viewing the key features from a field guide, but this can be misleading as it won't always be obvious what to use as a field mark. For instance, bill color is not useful here. I'd also consult the range map to know what birds are expected.

Sibley guide. I also have audubon.  Sorry about that everyone.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

Sibley guide. I also have audubon.  Sorry about that everyone.

Nothing to apologize for.  Everyone here has misidentified plenty of birds.  Some of us have missed the same photos in multiple ways.  Right, @IKLland?  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Nothing to apologize for.  Everyone here has misidentified plenty of birds.  Some of us have missed the same photos in multiple ways.  Right, @IKLland?  :classic_biggrin:

Don't forget about me Charlie!  I'm excellent at misidentifying photos, which is why, over time, I am less and less prone to chime in, unless I feel extremely confident in my opinion, lol.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

Don't forget about me Charlie!  I'm excellent at misidentifying photos, which is why, over time, I am less and less prone to chime in, unless I feel extremely confident in my opinion, lol.

You learn more from the ones you get wrong.  

• Like 5