Whatbird Community

Can anyone help me identify what bird species this is?

I was driving at 9:30pm in Jim Wells County, Texas on an unpaved county road. This bird was in the middle of the road and fluttered up and hit the front of my car. I wasn't going fast and certainly didn't expect this to happen. We found it on the road as we drove back a few minutes later. I'm thinking it was already ill when I hit it??? Anyway, I'd like to know what species it is so we can make a donation to any wildlife rescue rehabilitator who takes these birds into care.

20220709_231647.thumb.jpg.d0d5acd94dafe1b237be1c6038383a6f.jpg

Edited by Aveschapines
To correct a typo at poster's request.

58 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@IntrepidFraidyCat, welcome to Whatbird.  Sorry about the circumstances.

Your deceased bird is one of the nighthawks.  I don't know if this photo is enough to separate Common from Lesser.  Hopefully someone else will weigh in.

Your second bird is a Northern Mockingbird.

Yes, I can see now...Mockingbird. It was definitely mocking me by flying off as I took that photo. I've been researching my poor little friend and found some excellent articles  about comparing the lesser and common nighthawks by a woman from the Gulf Coast Bird Observatory. I'm pretty sure it's a lesser nighthawk.  I'll contact her. At least I found an appropriate organization for the donation. My kiddo was with me and it's all his idea to donate...trying to turn a negative into a positive. Thank you for your kind comment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, IntrepidFraidyCat said:

Anyway, I'd like to know what species it is so we can make a donation to any wildlife rescue rehabilitator who takes these birds into care.

Good for you.

Edited by RobinHood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IntrepidFraidyCat said:

That would be great! Why can't we edit or delete anything?

Unfortunately it's the way the platform works. But just ask next time! @Kevin and I are happy to help, but we don't edit or delete anything unless the poster requests it (or, of course, in some cases when there's something that's inappropriate and/or against the rules).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

***UPDATE: 

I found a wildlife rehabilitator that specializes in birds. I emailed her and it turns out that she works at the Texas Sealife Center in Corpus Christi. I made a donation in memory of "Lester Hawk." The center is about an hour away so I can take my kiddo there to learn more about wildlife. My son was right, we really can take a negative and turn it into a positive. Thank you to everyone for your kindness in helping me identify poor Lester. 

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

texas-sealife-center.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1