Whatbird Community

10 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Tough one but I'm leaning slightly to Hairy (maybe juvenile to account for the bill size?) - no tuft, bill is partially hidden so making it look smaller, no tail barring, long head shape, distinct spur above wing. Maybe a /.

It looks to me like the feathers that usually are around the bill that fluff up are missing or small, making the bill look longer. But I see your point about the spur. A slash May be the best option, as I’m not sure now. Any other photos?

Edited by Avery
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Avery said:

It looks to me like the feathers that usually are around the bill that fluff up are missing or small, making the bill look longer. But I see your point about the spur. A slash May be the best option, as I’m not sure now. Any other photos?

@AveryA few more pics.  In the field, we both thought it was a Hairy.  

1161206215_DSC04829-Copyed.thumb.jpg.6e5a0fe26a0a5b5a2548c41a472de6da.jpg

979822441_DSC04828-Copyed.jpg.5a3f5c8562569f6f5f694469f9ee0848.jpg

1287316811_DSC04824-Copyed.thumb.jpg.9ece38ec10c51d8dfb38f87ca57501cb.jpg334164927_DSC04826-Copyed.jpg.1cbf040f563844ab430a575686f861df.jpg

DSC04837ed.jpg.14d8abe1ccd0ffbb30542059f8989872.jpg

DSC04831 - Copyed.jpg

Edited by floraphile
correction

To my eye, that bill in the first photo looks like a Downy's bill, until you add the missing part. Once I take into consideration that the bill goes beyond what's visible, as @RobinHood mentioned, and the other features mentioned, I'm convinced beyond a shadow of doubt that this is a Woodpecker!!! 

I would call it a Hairy because of how big I estimate the bill to be, but angles and obstructions make it hard to judge. The shoulder spur seems obvious and I know that a lack of tail spots doesn't always mean a lack of tail spots, but I can't see them so they must not be there, right? Hairy Woodpecker for my guess.

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

To my eye, that bill in the first photo looks like a Downy's bill, until you add the missing part. Once I take into consideration that the bill goes beyond what's visible, as @RobinHood mentioned, and the other features mentioned, I'm convinced beyond a shadow of doubt that this is a Woodpecker!!! 

I would call it a Hairy because of how big I estimate the bill to be, but angles and obstructions make it hard to judge. The shoulder spur seems obvious and I know that a lack of tail spots doesn't always mean a lack of tail spots, but I can't see them so they must not be there, right? Hairy Woodpecker for my guess.

Agree with woodpecker!  ?  In the field, hubby & I felt it was without a doubt a Hairy.  He also foraged more like a Hairy-i.e. on the main trunk and larger limbs.  I made the mistake of looking at the pics.

To me first photo looks more like a Downy but second set of photos push me more towards Hairy. I will suggest we could be missing tail spots because of the way the tail feathers are being held (outer tail feathers close together, not spread out).

• Like 1