Whatbird Community

Juvenile sparrow

Just bumping for any other opinions, not arguing against Song. Interested if there is there something that eliminates Lincoln's, tail length maybe? The dark line behind the eye (forgotten the name for this) appears to turn up rather than down and the streaking looks on the heavy side.

2 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Just bumping for any other opinions, not arguing against Song. Interested if there is there something that eliminates Lincoln's, tail length maybe? The dark line behind the eye (forgotten the name for this) appears to turn up rather than down and the streaking looks on the heavy side.

It’s a newly hatched Song Sparrow so it looks funny. For me the plumage is too dark for Lincoln’s, bold thick markings on the face and head, warm dark brown coloration. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Is this near Otter Creek?  I would have called it a juvenile Swamp.

Sorry, Swamp is a winter bird for the West Coast so I forgot they existed! On top of that, I’m used to western Song Sparrows which are much darker. I definitely didn’t think enough about location on this one. 

Edited by Colton V

The Bird Nuts, this was just up the road from otter creek on a piece of property that is preserved for birds.

I cant remember the name of the individual that donated it but it is an amazing bird spot

• Like 1