Whatbird Community

Need help in identifying this bird in Illinois

I spotted these three birds last Saturday around 6:00 pm.  They are perched on a cluster of timber in Salt Creek in the Fullersburg Woods nature preserve in Oak Brook, IL.   The birds spent most of their time perched on the wood.  Occasionally they would fly to the river bank (I couldn't see if they landed on the ground or the trees - I was very far away).  They would then fly back to the timbers, and it looked like they dove for fish a couple of times, then waded in the water for a short while and then flew back to the timber.  I looked on the Merlin app but could not find any shorebirds that were not spotted or that looked like these birds.  According to Merlin, the most likely birds on this date and this location include:

Kildeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs
Pectoral Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Semipalmated Plover

Sorry for the blurry photos: they were shot with a 400mm lens and I zeroed in on the birds in Lightroom at 100%.

Bird - good (1 of 1).jpg

Bird - good 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Bird - good 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Bird - good 3 (1 of 1).jpg

Bird - good 4 (1 of 1).jpg

Bird 2 (1 of 1).jpg

1 minute ago, Sutherland said:

Thanks, guys.  Both spotted and solitary have been sighted in this location.  What threw me is the lack of spots.  Is it because they are juveniles?

To me they appear to be non-breeding Spotted.

3 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

They don't seem to be as chunky as a spotted, and have a black line through their eyes. 

Spotted can have a black (ish) line through the eye. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/444154751#_ga=2.18487225.1075641776.1657998529-1897469110.1656449089

Almost all spotted sandpipers I see are slim, not chunky.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tanager 101 said:

To me they appear to be non-breeding Spotted.

Spotted can have a black (ish) line through the eye. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/444154751#_ga=2.18487225.1075641776.1657998529-1897469110.1656449089

Almost all spotted sandpipers I see are slim, not chunky.

I see lots of chunky spotted sandpipers. The line through the eye through me off.