Whatbird Community

Ivory-billed Woodpecker news

BirdNrd

I haven't watched the video - I have to start working, will watch it later - but I think the principle that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence applies here. In the frame shown with the article I couldn't be certain it's a bird...

• Like 4

No, just no, he totally doomed himself for me when around 4 minutes he said:

"It was a sighting, and I got a video, a video which I never thought I would make public. It is not a high quality video at all, in fact when I looked at it in the canoe, after the bird had gone by, I thought it was just another bigfoot video. However, when I got home and I got it on a big screen, I mean it was late at night, I looked at it and I didn't think much of it. The next morning I got up and looked at the video, and realized there is a lot of information in the video."

Quote from the article:

He says he knew immediately that the bird was an Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

"I looked at it and didn't think much of it" That sounds like double talk to me - assuming the article quoted him correctly of course.

So you find an supposedly extinct bird, you go home, glance at the video, and go to bed? You don't want to share it with you birding buddy, or that group your on, something? Who really thinks they found a extinct bird, and say's, "eh, maybe I'll show somebody 6 months from now."?

I think the guy is probably sincere, but I think he has just convinced himself(far after the sighting of the bird) he has seen a Ivory-billed, when honestly he really saw something totality different, or maybe a Pileated, but not an Ivory-billed.

The first quote, earlier of Mr. Harrison, I typed out from him talking in the video, if I made a mistake in quoting him, I apologize. It was from 4:45 to 5 something in the video(The one on the page BirdNrd linked to.), so you can easily listen to it yourself. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kevin said:

No, just no, he totally doomed himself for me when around 4 minutes he said:

Quote from the article:

"I looked at it and didn't think much of it" That sounds like double talk to me - assuming the article quoted him correctly of course.

So you find an supposedly extinct bird, you go home, glance at the video, and go to bed? You don't want to share it with you birding buddy, or that group your on, something? Who really thinks they found a extinct bird, and say's, "eh, maybe I'll show somebody 6 months from now."?

I think the guy is probably sincere, but I think he has just convinced himself(far after the sighting of the bird) he has seen a Ivory-billed, when honestly he really saw something totality different, or maybe a Pileated, but not an Ivory-billed.

The first quote, earlier of Mr. Harrison, I typed out from him talking in the video, if I made a mistake in quoting him, I apologize. It was from 4:45 to 5 something in the video(The one on the page BirdNrd linked to.), so you can easily listen to it yourself. 

I think he was referring to the video when he said he "didn't think much of it". I think he was trying to say he didn't think he captured the bird on video, but once he pulled it up the next day, there was more information visible from it than he previously thought. That being said, I don't really think this is an IBWO at all. Some of these people hunting for these birds should invest in a new camera, these videos look like they're taken on a Nokia brick from the 80s. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Some of these people hunting for these birds should invest in a new camera, these videos look like they're taken on a Nokia brick from the 80s. 

It's hard to convince anyone that the pileated you just took a picture of is an Ivory-billed, if you have a good photo.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I think he was referring to the video when he said he "didn't think much of it". I think he was trying to say he didn't think he captured the bird on video, but once he pulled it up the next day, there was more information visible from it than he previously thought. 

That very well may be right, but totally don't think this is an Ivory-billed. 

• Like 2

I was also less than impressed with the lukewarm response reported; and, I'm sorry, but "the best evidence" is an extremely low standard in this case, since all the other evidence is extremely poor. I guess Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers are like Bigfoot - they are either very blurry or very good at dodging cameras! But if after over six months it's still inconclusive this is hardly firm evidence.

• Like 3

OK; I watched the video - which I don't recommend doing just before bed like I did - and I am unimpressed. The wing tips are clearly black, except when they look white, which can happen in videos? Can't white wing tips also sometimes appear black in blurry videos? The heavy reliance on wing shape in flight was also totally unconvincing to me. And none of the images were anything resembling clear or definitive. He gives his interpretation of what he's seeing but it could be almost anything. I was also totally stumped by the claim of the white beak; I saw a black beak! At least the video does appear to confirm that it was a bird.

I also wondered how he was able to come up with such specific and information about where the bird flew to at the end of the video. Surely that's nothing more than a guesstimation on his part? And even the initial flight would have to be across an estimated distance, but probably easier to get right since it was shorter and closer. But I don't think measurements in the hundredths of feet per second are justifiable. Yes, the video gives specific time measurements, but the distance measurements are far from precise, as far as I can tell.

I have to agree with him 100% that he has no proof, and as far as evidence I think it's limited to his belief that he saw the bird. The interviewer was very lukewarm too; "ah, interesting..." with as little enthusiasm as even a old guy birder could muster.

• Like 4

Someone pointed this out on another site, why ain't this a classic Wood Duck? Doesn't really seem to have that undulating flight style most big woodpeckers have. Habitat is perfect for a woodie as well. Just sayin' 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5