Whatbird Community

Willow Flycatcher?

I hate asking for id help on this guy since I couldn't get a sound id but thought I would throw it out there anyway.  This was seen last weekend in Latrobe, PA.  There have been reports of Willow Flycatchers at this particular spot and a single report of a Least Flycatcher in June (which would be uncommon for this area I believe).  This doesn't look Willow to me but am hoping it is since it's the only one I've potentially seen this year.  Any confidence either way?

20220716-850_8814-Edit.jpg

20220716-850_8810-Edit.jpg

Mainly a bump, may not be identifiable from the photos.

Doesn't look like an Acadian (most likely at this location?), better for Willow/Alder than Least which are all unlikely? I'm getting an Alder vibe but as you say Willow has been seen.

I defer to the experts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Don't Pewees typically have a more peaked head? 

Edit- Peaked meaning head shaped higher at the back of the head, not crested feathers creating a peak.

I should have looked in iBird before I added the edit. The peak shape I was referring to is called a small crest in the guide.

Either way, wouldn't an Eastern Wood-Pewee have a different head shape, or is the small crest hidden in the photos?

Edited by lonestranger

21 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Mainly a bump, may not be identifiable from the photos.

Doesn't look like an Acadian (most likely at this location?), better for Willow/Alder than Least which are all unlikely? I'm getting an Alder vibe but as you say Willow has been seen.

I defer to the experts.

I would agree with @RobinHood with a willow or alder flycatcher