Whatbird Community

So it looks like I have another one of these guys perched on my string lights in the corner of my porch this winter. This is the best picture I could get. Had one last year in the other corner.  I was wondering if I should leave the sting lights on all night or if I should turn them off when I go to bed.  I have a remote so I won’t have to disturb the bird if I turn them off. Thanks! 

AD1B47D2-C1D3-456A-B79F-701B6DE997D6.jpeg

Yes, that's a male House Finch. That's rather weird. I would turn the lights off. Probably better for him if he's trying to sleep for the night and hopefully fly off out of the porch in the morning for the day 🙂

Welcome to Whatbird! Just a side note- it's always good to mention location in posts.

• Thanks 1

Where are you, and is that an incandescent or LED bulb?  Depending on your location, the bird may be using the bulb to get warm.  Since birds have lived in your area for millenia without lamps, he probably doesn't really need it.  Unless you want to keep it on the rest of the season, I'd wait until the next predicted warmer night and then turn it off.

I live in Virginia. I had the same kind of bird do this all winter last year. Slept on my string lights all night. Last night and today we had our first snow/ice. Last winter the bird just stayed there all night and was gone during the day.  I can’t remember what kind of lights they are but they definitely put off a Little bit of heat. I left them on last night. Should I put out any food? Thanks for all your comments. 

Most of us here are going to encourage you to feed birds!  You can get an inexpensive plastic feeder and black oil sunflower seed at most 'Big Box' stores.  Black oil sunflower is preferred by most species of birds you'll attract to at a back yard feeder, including your House Finch.

You could hang it from an unused hook on your porch.  That will discourage squirrels from eating the seed, although you'll have to sweep the empty seed hulls off the porch.  You could also hang it from a tree branch or pole in the yard; less mess but more available to squirrels.  Everything's a trade-off :classic_biggrin:

If you decide to not feed them, they'll be fine.  Just as they got along for centuries without artificial heat sources, they got along living on the native food sources available without people feeding them.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

Fortunately I already have a couple feeders around the yard and one right by the porch, just wasn’t sure what to feed them. Thanks so much!!