Whatbird Community

3 minutes ago, Avery said:

This bird looks like a White-breasted Nuthatch to me. The undertail coverts reach nearly to the end of the tail, which is short in comparison to the body.

My thoughts as well.  But I can maybe see it as a Blue Jay.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

My thoughts as well.  But I can maybe see it as a Blue Jay.

I could as well, except for the undertail pattern. Blue Jays have white-tipped tails that extend farther past the UnTCs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

The bird appears to be smaller than the branch it's on, which suggest to me that it's either a smaller bird, or that branch is a lot bigger than it looks.

yeah, that tree would be HUGE if this bird was bigger than a Pileated. 

@Birds are cool, the size of this bird may not be as it appeared. Size can be extremely hard to judge sometimes. My vote is still WBNU

• Like 3

Just now, Birds are cool said:

It is a lot larger than it looks in the photo. It may have been smaller than i thought, but i saw it in flight, and it ddidn't fly like aa nuthatch, and was at least double the size of aa white breasted nuthatch. 

I could see it as a blue jay. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Avery said:

I could as well, except for the undertail pattern. Blue Jays have white-tipped tails that extend farther past the UnTCs

Quoting myself here, because apparently I didn’t look at the photos with enough brightness from the screen. If you look really close, there is a white tip to the tail. Blue Jay. 

• Like 2