Whatbird Community

What kind of animal does this Swallow-tailed Kite have in its mouth?

Before I blew up the picture, I only saw the legs protruding, but now, I clearly see a complete animal in its mouth.  Looks like some kind of rodent.  The odd thing is that I had at least a minute or two of flyover action, before the pair of Swallow-tailed Kites left the area completely, and the bird had the thing in its mouth the entire time.  Would it have landed somewhere to comfortably position and finish the meal?

Back to the question, what is the second animal in the picture?

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/471921281

9 hours ago, Johnd said:

hard to tell but looks like some type of crustacean. a shrimp or Crayfish maybe.

1 hour ago, Clip said:

I believe there main food source is lizards. So I would guess a lizard.

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Swallow-taileds mostly pick prey off treetops, so crustaceans would be unlikely.  I agree with lizard, possibly an anole.

Upon further reflection, it looks like a bat to me.  I googled up what the Swallow-tailed Kites eat, and bats were one source. Look at my lightened pic and the second one, highlighting the prey.  Doesn't it look like there is either a bat or a rodent head, just ender the bird's eye?

HRNJYz7.jpg

x24lMcN.jpg

Edited by dragon49

1 hour ago, dragon49 said:

Upon further reflection, it looks like a bat to me.  I googled up what the Swallow-tailed Kites eat, and bats were one source. Look at my lightened pic and the second one, highlighting the prey.  Doesn't it look like there is either a bat or a rodent head, just ender the bird's eye?

HRNJYz7.jpg

x24lMcN.jpg

I'm sorry I really can't make out anything from this photo. Perhaps someone with better eye sight can.

1 hour ago, dragon49 said:

Upon further reflection, it looks like a bat to me. 

I can't make out enough to ID the prey, but I'd think a bat would be a bigger mouthful than this. I also see what looks like thin appendages that are too small for bat's wings and too long for bat legs. I could be wrong, but I just can't see it as a bat.

• Like 1