Whatbird Community

Golden-winged or Yellow-rumped?

1 minute ago, Birds are cool said:

Molting? I have never seen a pine like this.

Me neither, which makes me think Pine is a good option. As a rule of thumb, a really weird looking warbler is usually PIWA

• Like 3

For what it's worth, there are no eBird records for July or August at Radnor Lake State Park Tennessee (south of Nashville) https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L131646&yr=all&m= for Yellow-rumped or Golden-winged Warblers. Pine Warbler is absent in this period except for the end of August. I have no idea how well-covered the park is, though Prothonotary Warbler, Northern Parula, and Common Yellowthroat among many other species are well-reported in those months.

I'm not getting a Pine Warbler vibe from the last photograph.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

For what it's worth, there are no eBird records for July or August at Radnor Lake State Park Tennessee (south of Nashville) https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L131646&yr=all&m= for Yellow-rumped or Golden-winged Warblers. Pine Warbler is absent in this period except for the end of August. I have no idea how well-covered the park is, though Prothonotary Warbler, Northern Parula, and Common Yellowthroat among many other species are well-reported in those months.

I'm not getting a Pine Warbler vibe from the last photograph.

I should add that Pine Warbler is found in a few nearby places in July.

I'm getting Prothonotary vibes, winz and Charlie and Todd (welcome btw!). I'm not sure what to make of what looks like a white patch on the wing of winz's third photo.

Chestnut-sided is not found in this part of Tennessee (Nashville area) in July or early August, according to eBird.

• Like 2

Completely missed that this is at one of my stomping grounds. Yeah, Pine would be fairly irregular. Prothonotary however, breed and nest mere feet off the trail. I’ve seen at least three nests there myself. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blackburnian said:

This bird has prominent wing bars, no? 

Yes, it does.  I don't understand the significance.  What species is it, and how does this bird relate to @winz original bird?  Your bird also has a prominent eye ring, something I don't see in winz' photos, esp. the last one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Yes, it does.  I don't understand the significance.  What species is it, and how does this bird relate to @winz original bird?  Your bird also has a prominent eye ring, something I don't see in winz' photos, esp. the last one.

The significance is that such an obvious single wing bar doesn’t fit Prothonotary, but does fit a late summer Pine Warbler. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Additionally, by “this bird” I meant the OP’s. The attached photos were to show similar looking PIWAs to the bird in question. I see where my post was confusing. Apologies. 

Edited by blackburnian
  • Like 1