Whatbird Community

Photo viewing

Clicking links to view photos.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you click hyperlinks to view photos?

• Never
    • Occasionally
    • Half and half
    • Usually
    • Always

42 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I'm just curious if others take the time to click on all the linked photos, or if they pass over most of the links like I do and just view the embedded photos most of the time.

I tend to pass over them at least half the time, probably even more than half. (When you get as old as I am, time is short so I don't want to waste what little time I have left clicking on links!!) ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rarely click them.  First, I rarely know how to navigate some of the most commonly used photo sites, so I don't know how to zoom in for details.  Second, if I'm at work, most photo / social sites are blocked; Whatbird isn't.  Macaulay isn't blocked at work either although oddly, eBird is.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

I am kind of selective when it comes to clicking on links to photos. While I tend to skip over the linked photos that could be embedded, I will often click on third party links that can't be embedded for copyright reasons. What can I say, I enjoy seeing all the photos posted on Whatbird, and that's largely because they are posted on Whatbird and I don't have to open and close new tabs to view them.

• Like 5

I am more likely to click one if the link if it is clear it's somewhere I am familiar with( such ashttps://ebird.org/home, or https://www.flickr.com/photos/27232701@N04/), also if it is not one of the very regular members I am not going to click one till someone else has. Even if it is a regular member and I can't tell/don't know what the site is I'm not very likely to use it till I can tell something about it from peoples posts. 

As for photo links to Macaulay, who knows, I might click it, more than likely I won't though, if it it a really good photo it has a better chance that I will, but most the time I don't bother. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kevin said:

As for photo links to Macaulay, who knows, I might click it, more than likely I won't though, if it it a really good photo it has a better chance that I will, but most the time I don't bother.

I'll click on the link to interesting photos to see a better version of the embedded photo but if there's just a link to an unknown photo or checklist, I'll seldom find out if it's a good photo or not.

12 hours ago, lonestranger said:

if there's just a link to an unknown photo or checklist, I'll seldom find out if it's a good photo or not.

I almost never click a link to a checklist.  First I have to open the checklist.  If the person had a good day, I may have to scroll though several screens of listings and photos, trying to locate the one in question.  Then I have to click again to load the image, and possibly click the Mac link to get a larger image.  

I hope that those who post links instead of embedding their photos realize that it's nothing personal, but their photos probably aren't getting the views they could be getting simply because the photos aren't embedded in their posts. The more visible a photo is, the more attention it will draw.