Whatbird Community

Fall Migration 2022

The rarities are pouring in! I’ll be chasing all of them tomorrow!

Some very recent rarities include pectoral sandpipers, Baird’s sandpipers, Baltimore oriole, plumbeous vireo, two probable Philadelphia vireos, Lucy’s warbler, lots of Tennessee Warblers, magnolia warbler, Blackpoll warbler, Blackburnian warbler, a probable black throated green warbler, and a clay colored sparrow.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, IKLland said:

The rarities are pouring in! I’ll be chasing all of them tomorrow!

Some very recent rarities include pectoral sandpipers, Baird’s sandpipers, Baltimore oriole, plumbeous vireo, two probable Philadelphia vireos, Lucy’s warbler, lots of Tennessee Warblers, magnolia warbler, Blackpoll warbler, Blackburnian warbler, a probable black-throated green warbler, and a clay-colored sparrow.

Looks like we should both have good days tomorrow! I'll be birding around San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties tomorrow! Lots of rarities showing up along the whole coast of California right now!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Looks like we should both have good days tomorrow! I'll be birding around San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties tomorrow! Lots of rarities showing up along the whole coast of California right now!!!

I wonder if I can actually for once see more species in a day than you? You always get a lot of great birds! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday (Friday) I set out in search of a Surf Scoter and 3 Greater White-fronted Geese reported on the other side of my county on Thursday, and a Red-necked Grebe at a different location 13 miles away also reported on Thursday. The scoter was present but the geese were not, the reverse of my expectation. It took long enough for me to locate the scoter; I stopped at three places along a four-plus mile route and the scoter was at the last place. I then decided to skip looking for the grebe and go home for lunch; as it turned out the grebe was not reported yesterday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Avery said:

I know you said there’s not really great habitat near you, but definitely be keeping an ear out for EVGR! It’s looking to be a fantastic irruption year

A bunch of counties in Southern Michigan got flooded with them.  I would have to smoosh 2 Goldfinches together to try to make one on my feeders though.  

C8359BCF-0BC9-4B31-9CA4-72BD827AE995.jpg

[stolen from Michigan Discord]

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 2

The Gulls are showing back up to Duck Lake, and sounds like next door the ducks are showing up on Gull Lake.  I got FOY Lesser Black-backed Gull, along with the 3 Red-necked Grebes.  There were around 1300 Ring-billed and a smattering of Herring along wiht a single Bonaparte's.  I'm sure there might have been some other good stuff mixed in, but pretty bad mirage.  This stinking southern winds lately are really holding things up.  We had nearly 7 Million birds pass through on 10/26 when the last batch of southern winds stopped.  

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 8:49 PM, chipperatl said:

A bunch of counties in Southern Michigan got flooded with them.  I would have to smoosh 2 Goldfinches together to try to make one on my feeders though.  

C8359BCF-0BC9-4B31-9CA4-72BD827AE995.jpg

[stolen from Michigan Discord]

Guess where I live in Michigan?  My theory is the Grosbeaks are avoiding all the construction on I-69.screen-shot-2022-10-31-at-8-27-34-pm_ori

• Haha 3