Whatbird Community

Jaeger and shorebirds -- Juneau, AK

JBAS

Pics taken 8/1/22 while on a boat tour of the Tracy Arm Fjord.

Saw these pipers (?) at the edge of the Taku Inlet.

180731107_pipertracyarm.thumb.png.d8cb9d0dafb1162c9913fee1e45e38b3.png

This jaeger flew over the boat near the South Stewart Glacier. I've never seen jaegers before--is there enough here to verify parasitic over pomarine?

352799673_parasiticjaegar.thumb.png.551e5a632c373fb5ad79c71d75b0faee.png

Edited by JBAS

2 hours ago, PalmWarbler said:

I believe the second is a young Short-billed Gull. 

Hmm, whoops if that's that case! Would you please let me know what led you to that? Was thinking jaeger based on overall darkish gray coloring and the bird *seemed* large (although that can obviously be misleading with a bird seen in isolation 😅) compared to the short-bills I had seen up close.

15 hours ago, JBAS said:

Hmm, whoops if that's that case! Would you please let me know what led you to that? Was thinking jaeger based on overall darkish gray coloring and the bird *seemed* large (although that can obviously be misleading with a bird seen in isolation 😅) compared to the short-bills I had seen up close.

I’m not really sure how to explain it, but I did see a lot of Short-billed Gulls while I was in Alaska. They’re pretty cute and more slender than jaegers, I guess.