Whatbird Community

Some kind of Swallow I assume

8 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

With the dark throat and deeply forked tail, Barn Swallow should be a safe bet.

Man, those things are near impossible to photograph.  I couldn't predict any flight patterns in sports (my camera's burst takes a max of 7 pictures) mode but was able to get a decent enough video, and my editing skills saved the day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

last photo. bird out of focus in the bottom right is a tree swallow. 

I'm holding off on reporting, as when I started to, Ebird listed Tree Swallows as rare for the date and area.

Are you referring to the bird on the bottom right here:

zh72TfY.png

or here:

Ubn81Bt.png

Here is a cropped pic of the bird on the bottom right on the second photo:

lK6NFkO.png

Posted (edited)

I got some better pics of what appears to be a tree swallow from another video, so I added the rare species, to my checklist, along with the media, and we will see if I get my first confirm for a rare species.  I subscribe to rare bird alerts for my county, so I'll find out soon. ?

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/473215411

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/473215421

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/473215431

Edited by dragon49

8 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I got some better pics of what appears to be a tree swallow from another video, so I added the rare species, to my checklist, along with the media, and we will see if I get my first confirm for a rare species.  I subscribe to rare bird alerts for my county, so I'll find out soon. ?

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/473215411

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/473215421

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/473215431

Your last two photos there are barn, and personally I would not be comfortable calling the other photo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Your last two photos there are barn, and personally I would not be comfortable calling the other photo. 

I moved the media for the last two photos to Barn Swallow.  I'm leaving the Tree Swallow report with the bad pic in place for now.  This should get included in the county rare alert email that will go out later this morning.  If I get an email from a reviewer correcting the ID, or if it remains unconfirmed for a while, I'll remove the sighting. 

Why not just put the photo down as swallow sp.? Not everything needs to be identified to species, and in fact, not everything should be. The notion of putting things down just to see what the reviewer thinks and forcing them to make a call on your photo, is interesting. You have already been given some feedback on this forum, so why not heed that advice? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Why not just put the photo down as swallow sp.? Not everything needs to be identified to species, and in fact, not everything should be. The notion of putting things down just to see what the reviewer thinks and forcing them to make a call on your photo, is interesting. You have already been given some feedback on this forum, so why not heed that advice? 

I came to the same conclusion before having seen your reply.  I deleted the Tree Swallow observation and changed my sightings accordingly, which was to report two Barn Swallows and 28 swallow.sp.  I didn't bother uploading the bad picture to the swallow.sp section.  This was the right thing to do.  My count was accurate, but without good photo evidence, and with my not so good swallow-spotting field instincts, coupled with bad lighting making colors hard to discern in the field, I can't responsibly report anything else. 

I know more about swallow visual clues from this exercise, so hopefully, next time in the field I see swallows and don't get good pictures, I'll be able to be more specific.

Edited by dragon49
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, dragon49 said:

'm leaving the Tree Swallow report with the bad pic in place for now.  This should get included in the county rare alert email that will go out later this morning.

Another down side to this approach is the alerts don't go to just reviewers.  Someone may receive the alert and decided to look for this bird.  Good call on the reclassification as 'species'.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

I came to the same conclusion before having seen your reply.  I deleted the Tree Swallow observation and changed my sightings accordingly, which was to report two Barn Swallows and 28 swallow.sp.  I didn't bother uploading the bad picture to the swallow.sp section.  This was the right thing to do.  My count was accurate, but without good photo evidence, and with my not so good swallow-spotting field instincts, coupled with bad lighting making colors hard to discern in the field, I can't responsibly report anything else. 

I know more about swallow visual clues from this exercise, so hopefully, next time in the field I see swallows and don't get good pictures, I'll be able to be more specific.

Good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Another down side to this approach is the alerts don't go to just reviewers.  Someone may receive the alert and decided to look for this bird.  Good call on the reclassification as 'species'.

I didn't yet get the latest rare bird alert, but hopefully, I edited the checklist in time for the Tree Swallow not to have made the list.  If it does make the list though, anybody looking at my checklist will see the sighting was removed.

Edited by dragon49
  • Like 2

On 8/7/2022 at 11:46 AM, dragon49 said:

I didn't yet get the latest rare bird alert, but hopefully, I edited the checklist in time for the Tree Swallow not to have made the list.  If it does make the list though, anybody looking at my checklist will see the sighting was removed.

I once had a friend text me asking how I had identified the extinct subspecies of House Finch I had reported… that was an embarrassing misclick. 

• Haha 7