Whatbird Community

Some Kind of Swallow, or a Chimney Swift

The screengrabs from three frames of a video (+ 1 cropped) and the video are so awful, that I don't expect a definitive answer, but I figured there was no harm trying.  The fight patterns were swallow-like, but they did remind me of the Chimney Swift lifer I got yesterday.  IMHO, the Chimney Swifts were flying in swallow-like patterns, but slower, and I felt as if the patterns matched Chimney Swifts more than Swallows.  Merlin gave, Cave Swallow, Bank Swallow, and Chimney Swift, in that order, so there are some recognizable features.

I uploaded the crappy video to cover the event that any recognizable flight pattern may assist with the ID.  The bird comes into frame between 11 and 13-seconds in.  Sorry, I can't slow if down properly.  Recorded this afternoon in Delray Beach, Florida:

https://i.imgur.com/d6qMw5d.mp4

i2sQ8h4.png

8illOCb.png

YSoQBts.png

HSfHOdY.png

Edited by dragon49

21 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I knew this would most-likely be an impossible task.  I only asked because I light on swallow lifers.

What ones do you need? We can give you tips of how to ID them in the field!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avery said:

What ones do you need? We can give you tips of how to ID them in the field!

The only birds with "swallow" in the name that are on my life list are Barn Swallows and Tree Swallows.  I have spotted Purple Martins.  Not going anywhere for a while, so I'm only interested in what shows up on Southeast Florida.

Normal birding trip where I see swallows involves me taking a lot of bursts and some videos and not getting any birds in frame, or, as in the case of this thread, getting unrecognized birds in frame.  If I could correctly predict a flight pattern, I could just go in video mode and leave my camera pointing in the predicted flight path.  I'd love any ID tips you can give me, however, I'm careful with claiming lifers and it's unlikely I'd claim a swallow lifer without photo or video evidence, or perhaps some clear audio.

8 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

The only birds with "swallow" in the name that are on my life list are Barn Swallows and Tree Swallows.  I have spotted Purple Martins.  Not going anywhere for a while, so I'm only interested in what shows up on Southeast Florida.

Normal birding trip where I see swallows involves me taking a lot of bursts and some videos and not getting any birds in frame, or, as in the case of this thread, getting unrecognized birds in frame.  If I could correctly predict a flight pattern, I could just go in video mode and leave my camera pointing in the predicted flight path.  I'd love any ID tips you can give me, however, I'm careful with claiming lifers and it's unlikely I'd claim a swallow lifer without photo or video evidence, or perhaps some clear audio.

Ah, ok. I forgot you use your camera for your main optics. Then my advice would be to find a spot where swallows sit on power lines or roost somewhere. That way photographing them will be much easier. 

Looking at range maps, it seems your only other breeder in the area is Cave Swallow. However, with swallow migration coming up, there may be a swallow roosting spot near you which would give great photographing opportunities. 

@The Bird Nuts gave a great quick description of swallow ID here:

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Avery said:

Then my advice would be to find a spot where swallows sit on power lines or roost somewhere.

This.  Check eBird for reports of high numbers of swallows in the local area, especially those near utility rights-of-way or roads AND open water or agricultural fields, etc.  Odds are good some of them will be chilling on the utility lines.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Avery said:

Ah, ok. I forgot you use your camera for your main optics. Then my advice would be to find a spot where swallows sit on power lines or roost somewhere. That way photographing them will be much easier. 

Looking at range maps, it seems your only other breeder in the area is Cave Swallow. However, with swallow migration coming up, there may be a swallow roosting spot near you which would give great photographing opportunities. 

@The Bird Nuts gave a great quick description of swallow ID here:

Yeah, still haven't picked up a pair of binoculars.  I'll see if I can find some local perching spots.  The real challenge is to figure out the darn flight patterns.  I couldn't get any pictures of my recent lifer Chimney Swift, and it seem to me like some swallows fly twice as fast.  Swallow-tailed Kites were my photo nemesis for a while, but as soon as I figured out their inside out swooping patterns, I got some good shots.  

I'll get good Swallow pics eventually.  The problem is that my excursions aren't dedicated to identifying Swallows, and when I do come across them, my time to get recognizable photos or videos is limited.  I have to get somewhere by a certain time, and my getting home or other destination plus other birding goals take precedence.  

This will be a lifetime adventure and I'm not rushed. 🙂

• Like 2

In breeding season, look under bridges.  I've seen Barn, Cave, and Cliff Swallow nesting communally.  They also often forage together in a loose association--in Winter this includes our southeastern migratory swallows.  One-stop shopping for swallow Lifers. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1